How Long Does Mmf Last?

Decorating By sweet-thing Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm by sweet-thing

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 7

I am making MM fondant figures, shapes, etc for a cake for Saturday. How soon can I make these? How long will the fondant stay okay to put on the cake? And how do I store them after they dry? I am sooo new to fondant. Thanks so much for any help.
Robin

6 replies
mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of 7

Bump - im new too and would love to know.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:58am
post #3 of 7

I am still not sure of the extact time but i personally would go max a week in advance on making the pieces if i had to but you might be able to make them even earlier, but that is just what i would do.

They say store them in an airtight container in a cool dry place, but the last time i did that my fondant pieces ended up going all soft and soggy icon_cry.gif So i would suggest get some of those sachets that absorb moisture to help stop them going soft or i heard if you put slices of bread in with the pieces the bread can help absorb moisture too.

Anyhoo HTH icon_smile.gif

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:37am
post #4 of 7

I use MMF for almost everything, and I wouldn't worry about it going bad. I store my MMF creations at room temp in a cakebox, not air tight. They dry hard which is what I want, and I don't think they will go bad. The colors may fade after several weeks, but keeping them in a box away from sunlight helps prevent that.
I'm attaching a pic of shoes I made from MMF to put on a cake order I had for saturday. I started on them about a week before because it had to dry in stages.
Good luck on your cake!
LL

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:50am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakehelp

I store my MMF creations at room temp in a cakebox, not air tight. They dry hard which is what I want, and I don't think they will go bad

I do that too but i wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do so i didn't mention that lol I think it helps the fondant 'breath' more and you don't have moisture problems. I use like those cardboard gift boxes lol

sweet-thing Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much! That is exactly the help I needed. I was afraid if i made them too soon they might fall apart or something awful...Thanks!

Those little shoes are sooo cute! You did an awsome job!

sweet-thing Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much! That is exactly the help I needed. I was afraid if i made them too soon they might fall apart or something awful...Thanks!

Those little shoes are sooo cute! You did an awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%