Airbrush Question

Decorating By debster Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 3:24am by icer101

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have to do a dark blue and I thinned it with water and it seems not to be drying on the fondant, was I to use vodka? I've never airbrushed for a cake before , how do you thin the gel colors to airbrush? Thanks for any and all help!!!!!!

4 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 5

Hi, I'd like to know also for futre reference...but I dont work in fondant...we fight...lol

But when i airbrush on my B/C cakes...I for example put 3 drops of Americolor AirBrush color into my pen, and then i have a small bottle and I spray in 2-3 squirts...makes my color flow better and spreads better for me. Ive only used Vodka when Im hand painting on the b/c.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 5

water doesn't really dry on fondant and dissolves it. i would use an alcohol based liquid like vodka when painting or use an airbrush coloring used specially for airbrushing on cakes.

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 5

For airbrushing I prefer Everclear but have also used vodka...anything with a high alcohol content will dry quite quickly.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 5

i,ve never used anything , but airbrush colors in my airbrush.. i thin with everclear to paint with a brush on fondant. but always use airbrush colors in my airbrush..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%