Cherry Koolaid To Make Red Fondant?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 6:24am by mistymamas

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 5

I picked up a packet of Cherry Kool Aid so that I can color some fondant a nice deep red. I also have the Wilton no-taste Red gel color, if I need to use it.

Does anyone have experience using Kool Aid to color fondant red?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

I picked up a packet of Cherry Kool Aid so that I can color some fondant a nice deep red. I also have the Wilton no-taste Red gel color, if I need to use it.TIA! icon_smile.gif

Unless you're coloring a tiny amount, I'd think you're going to need your Wilton color too or it will probably only tint it pink for an entire batch.

I've used blue Kool-Aid to color white cake batter, but it only helped to make it a light baby blue so I had to use food coloring to get it the dark color I wanted. Everyone liked the blue cake the best... it was their favoritemine too! (sort of gave it a citrus flavor, and it's yummy!)

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!

Yes, it will only be for a small quantity of fondant. I need red for the cutouts/decorations...but the rest of the cake will be white.

icon_biggrin.gif

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 5

I tried this once and it made a beautiful red! I don't think I needed any other color but it has been awhile.... the fondant tasted great too!!

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, I just used strawberry Kool Aid in my melted marshmallows and it gave it a nice pink color. But it did change the flavor. icon_smile.gif I dont think I used enough, I only used a few dashes of the Kool Aid and I should have used the entire packet, as it did not make it red. I even added about 5 healthy drops of my americolor red gel. Still dark pink. icon_sad.gif But I have read on another post that it may take the entire small bottle of red coloring to get the fondant red. I have not tried kneading color into it yet, so I am not for sure on that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%