How To Ship A Cake Out Of State

Decorating By simplysweetbygigi Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm by Rylan

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request to make a very large designer handbag cake, however, the customer would like it to be shipped to Chicago. I am in New Jersey. Has anyone shipped a cake before and if so how do you go about packaging it and what mailing server did you use. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance to all with any info.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 5

Shipping a cake is a horrible idea. There are several posts on this site showing the sad results. You can pay for insurance, but NOT ONE CARRIER WILL REIMBURSE YOU IF THE CAKE IS DAMAGED.

If the recipient is willing to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ for white glove handling from airport to airport, then it may be an option. I believe Continental airlines offers something like this.

You would be better off flying from LaGuardia to Chicago on a cheap Southwest airlines flight and hand delivering the cake. That's the cheapest, safest way to go.

Rae

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 5

There are so many cake stores in Chicago. You might just want to suggest another company if the lady doesn't want to pay for you to fly with the cake.

She is right - lots and lots of horror stories about shipping cakes.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 5

Read this sad story and then make your decision...

some will say they have done it with success, but Rae just about tells you the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth with her reply. Good Luck!
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626570.html[/url]

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 5

It's summer... don't trust the summer heat.

We recieved shipped flowers and it was horrible when it arrived.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%