How Long Can A Fondant Covered Cake Sit Out Before It Is Bad

Decorating By sarahd Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm by Silviascakeart

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 10

How long can a fondant cake sit out before it goes bad? My niece wants me to make her a cake for Saturday but I am leaving to go out of town on Friday morning. I would have to drop it off to her on Thursday night. Would it be ok to sit out that long? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 10

The fondant would be fine, but it depends on what kind of cake and filling you are using. Can your filling sit out for two days?

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 10

I am curious about this as well. I made my first fondant covered cake the week after Father's Day just for practice. No one was wanting cake after eating two over the previous weekend. So it set out on my counter for a week. It was iced with cream cheese icing under the fondant and I was just too scared to let someone eat it even though it was in an airconditioned house. I cut it up and put it down the disposal. So how long can they set out and still be safe for consumption?

sarahd Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

I will be making a banana and chocolate cake and using buttercream for the filling.

mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahd

I will be making a banana and chocolate cake and using buttercream for the filling.

Using fresh bananas???

manahigh, again it comes back to how long can your filling sit out. I don't think I would trust cream cheese icing that had been on the counter for a week. That is just me though.

The fondant doesn't make your filling 'no refrigeration required' - your filling needs to meet that criteria already. The fondant helps the cake stay fresh for a longer period of time ...

sarahd Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 10

I am going to cheat and use a box mix. I thought that might be better with having to leave it out.

mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 10

Not to get into the 'is using a box mix cheating' argument ... I would think that your cake would be fine. If you have to deliver it on Thursday though - when will you be decorating it? Thursday DAY or Wednesday night? Even so, I truly think that it will be okay until Saturday.

sarahd Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 10

I figured I would have everything ready to decorate Wednesday, bake the cakes early Thursday morning and decorate in the afternoon.
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 10

I think it will be fine- do you have one of those cake caddies? If so, put it in a cake caddy (container) and it would be fine- it's air tight and keeps the cake fresher...at least that's what I think.

I've done that..I've left a cake in the caddy for about 2 days and it was still fresh. I also stuck it in the fridge..the cake may get too moist, I guess you can say. But I'm a sicko- I love cake no matter what!

Silviascakeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silviascakeart Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 10

Hi sarahd
I just read about this yesterday. In Wiltons wedding cake book it mentiones that a fondant covered cake can be kept up to 2 months if wrapped tightly and frozen. It dosen't say anything about fillings or what type of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%