Sugarshack's Buttercream - Can Take The Heat!!

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm by Jannie92869

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #31 of 49

Can you subsitute the coffee mate liquid and if so what would be a good choice?
Thanks
Susan

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #32 of 49

Can you subsitute the coffee mate liquid and if so what would be a good choice?
Thanks
Susan

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #33 of 49

I saw somewhere in another post....can't find it now....but someone was saying that if you use regular Crisco instead of Hi- ratio you had to make some specific adjustments. I believe they said something about the water content of crisco. I do understand that hiratio is the better product in this recipe, I would just like to know about the adjustment to use crisco. I have seen post where others used crisco successfully.

My questions is: where you say 3lb of hi ratio how much crisco would that be?

Thank you

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #34 of 49

Jannie--don't use Crisco. Find a store brand that has trans fats in it. Many on here say that Walmart has one that works great and one that doesn't, so be sure to read the can. I have the weight of a cup of high ratio written down in my bakery, and I'll be going out there shortly. I'll try to remember to check it and let you know, but keep in mind that a cup of high ratio may weigh differently than a cup of standard shortening. You may have to play around with it, but about 6 1/2 cups of shortening (for the 6 qt. mixer) should be a good place to start.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #35 of 49

Last night I made an adjusted batch for a 4.5 KA and it come out wonderful!! it looked exactly like Sharon shows it on the video, smooth and creamy...totally loving it. Thank you Sharon!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #36 of 49

Duplicate post, sorry icon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:33pm
post #37 of 49

[quote="Susans53"]Can you subsitute the coffee mate liquid and if so what would be a good choice?
Thanks
Susan[/quote

The liquid has to be "hot" so I don't know what you would substitute it with or why you would want to. It seems the main problem with recipes from this site failing is because they aren't followed to a "T" and substitutions are used. Using something else may effect the way the icing performs but you can certainly try.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #38 of 49

It's been awhile, but I used a flavored liquid creamer and it turned out fine except the flavor was pretty strong. Don't remember for sure but I think it was a cinnamon-something. Try it and see what you think! If the flavor is too strong you can always mix that icing with a batch of plain to lighten it up.

Jannie92869 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:55am
post #39 of 49

bump

Jannie92869 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:56am
post #40 of 49

DELETED POST

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm
post #41 of 49

You can use any flavor of coffee creamer (even the liquid ones) you just need to make sure you have complimentary extracts to go with it. I use weights when I make it - for my 6 qt. they are:

2 lb. 13 oz. shortning
6 lb. powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups coffee creamer (I use the liquid kind)
5 tablespoons of flavoring

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #42 of 49

I LOVE SUGARSHACK'S RECIPE!!! Since I found out about it, that's the only recipe I use...except, of course, I tweaked it with my own flavor combination!

And the hi-ratio (SWEETEX!!) shortening DOES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! I just recently changed from Crisco to Sweetex, and can I say that I will NEVER go back; unless in extreme emergencies-I order my Sweetex online...

Can't say enough how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

As far as the 'shelf life' - it can stay out as long as Crisco-based frosting (1-2 weeks or longer) But I just recently started to freeze my leftovers if I know that I won't be doing another cake for a while. Wonderful! And you can freeze and re-freeze over and over...just re-blend it once it is defrosted... icon_biggrin.gif

HTH icon_lol.gif

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #43 of 49

I LOVE SUGARSHACK'S RECIPE!!! Since I found out about it, that's the only recipe I use...except, of course, I tweaked it with my own flavor combination!

And the hi-ratio (SWEETEX!!) shortening DOES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! I just recently changed from Crisco to Sweetex, and can I say that I will NEVER go back; unless in extreme emergencies-I order my Sweetex online...

Can't say enough how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

As far as the 'shelf life' - it can stay out as long as Crisco-based frosting (1-2 weeks or longer) But I just recently started to freeze my leftovers if I know that I won't be doing another cake for a while. Wonderful! And you can freeze and re-freeze over and over...just re-blend it once it is defrosted... icon_biggrin.gif

HTH icon_lol.gif

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If you need sugarshack's recipe for the 6qt KA let me know and I'll post it.

Could you post it for me?
THANKS.
Kookie icon_lol.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #45 of 49

I too have been a fan of Sharon's recipe for about 1 1/2 yrs. Over that time I started out w/ Crisco & had no problem, then it was like it wouldn't blend well. Almost like mixing water & oil--like when you use margarine instead of butter in cookies icon_sad.gif

So, living in TN where it is hot & HUMID I decided to buy a 50 lb block of hi-ratio from the local cash 'n carry. Soooo worth the money!

I have had to play with the recipe over & over b/c it was getting to where it was too soft & I started having blow outs & it just didn't "look" right & I totally blame our lovely TN weather, which is ever changing

So after contacting Sharon she suggested either more PS or less shortening or maybe both. So, this is what I've come up w/ that works for me & my6 qt KA. It may work for someone else who has similar weather & a 6 qt

2 lb 10 oz hi-ratio shortening
6 1/2 lb Powdered Sugar
6 T Flavor ( I use 4 T clear vanilla & either 2 T butter or 1 1/2 T butter & 1/2 T almond; I use other flavors upon request)
10 T powdered Creamer + 10 T Hot H20 (this equals 14 T hot creamer)

***If you're like me & like to save time I weigh my creamer. When I measured 1 T dry creamer it = 8 g; so 80 g of dry creamer

I hope this isn't totally confusing someone & will be of help. Just wait until you try it's so smooth & creamy "like butta"

Jannie92869 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #46 of 49

Well, I got the walmart great value brand shortening as suggested by someone else in a previous post. I used the recipe tiggy suggested but with 3 lb of the gv shortening. It was too soft...not as fast crusting as I am used to. I had to wait a very long time to use the impression mat and on one cake I ended up not using the mat at all. At this point, not for sure whether to decrease the gv shortening next time or decrease the liquids according to Tiggy's recipe.

Thanks

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:57pm
post #47 of 49

I just used Sugarshacks recipe and I love it. I followed the recipe that came with The DVD 5 cups of shortening As far as using liquid creamer, I did pm her to ask but haven't heard back yet. But since the liquid is sold in the refrigerated section I didn't think you could leave it sitting out like the one with the power creamer. I've used the Walmart shortening with good results, (Using the Crusting recipe on this site)Walmart has two brands they sell. You have to get the one with the cherry pie on front. It has 3 grams of trans fat in it.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #48 of 49

Jannie, you can decrease either the shortening or the liquid. If you do the shortening, I would decrease by a couple of ounces. If you decrease the liquid I would do 2-3 T. Or you could increase the ps. You can also add ps to the buttercream now to make it more sturdy & it will crust better. It won't be air bubble free, but you can kinda "smack" it against the side of the bowl w/ your spatula when you're mixing & after you've mixed & it will help cut back on the air bubbles.

Be careful w/ the Walmart shortening too. Here it still has the cherry pie on the front but they went transfat free a few months ago. Look at the label if you are wondering. I personally didn't have good luck w/ it b/c it had a funky aftertaste.

Jannie92869 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #49 of 49

Dandelion,
Thanks for your response. I did have the GV shortening with the cherry pie on the front and transfat. I will use ps to salvage what I have left of this. I will try it again...with less coffee creamer mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%