Sugarshack's Buttercream - Can Take The Heat!!

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm by Jannie92869

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 49

I just wanted to post about my experience with this wonderful recipe the past couple of weeks.

I live in Ohio, where the heat and humidity are just wonderful (NOT) in the summer. I have had problems in the past with the heat and my buttercream frosting not playing well together. (unfortunately not many folks here seem to want fondant)

I made up a batch and iced a small cake and set it outside in the 95 degree weather and it worked perfectly!! It did not slide, melt, disintigrate...nada. It stayed PERFECT. ( I beleive the humidity was somewhere around 80% that day too)

I have since used it on 2 wedding cakes (one I just posted at the Columbus Zoo - outside venue) and it held PERFECTLY.

THANK YOU SHARON FOR YOUR RECIPE!!! (and BTW - I made a triple batch of the 6 qt. recipe in my new (to me) hobart 20 qt. - worked great!!)

48 replies
Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 49

Thank you so much for posting your expirience, I plan on using the recipe this weekend for a cake which will be outside, and was wondering how it would hold up in the heat....Thanks a mil!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 49

I think one of the main "tricks" is to use all shortening and NO butter in the buttercream. Butter contains a lot of water and you will have problems when it gets too hot. I love my BUTTERcream, but can't use it for these outdoor Texas events. I typically use Indydebi's recipe with coffee creamer - taken from Sharon's recipe. I don't know what the Dream Whip (Debi's recipe) does, but I rarely leave it out and never if I am using all shortening.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 49

That's good to know! I know I rely on IndyDebi's recipe when a cake is going to be outside. So now it sounds like I've got two outdoor recipes! Thanks!

Loucinda Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 49

I have used Indy's recipe too, my problem with it is that I cannot always find dreamwhip - and I CAN always find coffee creamer! (I love the taste of both) I was real happy when I discovered that Sharon's recipe can take the heat just as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 49

Can someone please kindly link me to these recipes? The search isn't working for me and I'd love to try these for the cakes I'm doing this weekend. Thanks so much.

cakeladyinri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyinri Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 49

I would also love Sharon's recipe, living here in New England we get those wonderful humid days as well

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 49

I agree, I used Sharon's recipe, with a few tweaks of my own for flavor and it lasted in this hot mess we call Texas icon_lol.gif. I usually use 1/4 butter and 3/4 shortening but I've had some melting issues lately. I'll probably be sticking to it, at least while we're having 100+ degree days icon_razz.gif .

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 49

I agree, I used Sharon's recipe, with a few tweaks of my own for flavor and it lasted in this hot mess we call Texas icon_lol.gif. I usually use 1/4 butter and 3/4 shortening but I've had some melting issues lately. I'll probably be sticking to it, at least while we're having 100+ degree days icon_razz.gif .

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 49

If you need sugarshack's recipe for the 6qt KA let me know and I'll post it.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 49

This is another eason why I love and use Sharon's recipe (I have my own flavor combo I use).

Here, the temps can reach 100 or more during the summer... I haven't had any trouble with this recipe in the heat, so far.

A wedding cake and grooms cake I did in april, made a 4 hour trip in hot temps. The bride said, "that both cakes were in tack, and the icing held up prefect at the outside wedding".

Her new DH wouldn't let no one cut his cake and she said, it made the trip back home in the trunk of the car and it still look like it did the day I made it" and now is living in their deep freezer.

I give her recipe a thumbs_up.gif for taking the heat.

God Bless,
Sharon

Loucinda Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 49

I know unless you have experienced the icing melting off a cake, you cannot appreciate how nice it is to have a frosting you KNOW will hold! icon_smile.gif

For me, Sugarshack's (Sharon's) recipe is a lifesavor (and so is Indy's) I am an avid follower from now on.

(and I was glad to make it in the 20qt. with no problems!!) icon_biggrin.gif

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 49

Personally, I would love to get the recipe for the 6 qt KA as offered prev by Tiggy2 thumbs_up.gif

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 49

Tiggy2,
Can you post the recipe for teh 6qt. I am about to Sharons recipe but my ka won't hold the whole recipe.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 49

Thank you so much for posting the recipe - can you post the 6qt too? I really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 49

I got this from Sharon a couple of weeks ago as it wasn't posted here.

3 lbs sweetex (use a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuing cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffe mate liquid

cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer durning this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #18 of 49

How long can sugarshack's recipe be left on the counter or in the fridge?

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 49

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but speaking of Sugarshack's BC recipe, does anyone have her chocolate BC recipe? I have a groom's cake this weekend and I am not satisfied with my chocolate bc at the moment. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:57pm
post #20 of 49

Ok, I am totally confused... one link says 5.5 pounds of shortening to 5 pounds of sugar, the recipe tiggy posted says 3 pounds of shortening to 6.5 pounds of sugar... that is a major discrepancy. Can someone clarify for me?

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #21 of 49

Good question Melvira, but I don't have the answer. Maybe PM Sharon and ask her. When I PMd her for the 6qt recipe this is what she sent me. I made it yesterday but I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it is. I do know that it tastes good.

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:20am
post #22 of 49

Thanks Tiggy. I will do that! thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #23 of 49

ok... my recipe says for the 5 qt. mixer... she uses 5 1/2 cups of hi ratio shortening . not 5 lbs. and then 5 lbs of sugar . in the 4 1/2 qt. mine says .. 4 1/2 cups.. not lbs. of shortening.. and 4 lbs of sugar.. i have made both.. in a 6 qt . one. it would be 6 1/2 cups of shortening and 6 lbs of sugar. etc.. think about it.. when she is measuring the shortening.. she uses packed cups of shortening.. so she says she rounds it out to 5 1/2 cups of shortening, etc. then the rest of the liquids, etc. again, don,t use the liquid measuring cups.. but the dry measuring cups for the shortening and the powder sugar.. hth please someone.. correct me if i am wrong

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #24 of 49

Ok, that's how I make my recipe... one cup of hi-ratio per pound of ps. It kind of ticks me off though because everyone told me you'd use much less hi-ratio shortening than regular Crisco, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Oh well... no biggie. icon_rolleyes.gif The frosting I used to make (my mom taught me) was sort of like IndyDeb's... it had a packet of Dream Whip in it, and man oh man does that make it good, but it's not pure white so if you've got someone that really wants a WHITE wedding cake you can't use it. But it tastes SOOO good! I haven't actually made Deb's yet, but really should try it.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #25 of 49

Melvira, I've had the same thought. I remember before I made the leap to hi-ratio that someone--maybe several someones--on here said it doesn't really cost more because you use less. Sugarshack's recipe actually calls for more! By the way, I've seen her post this recipe as using 5 1/2 c. shortening, and then later she posted it using 5. Anybody know which works best? TIA

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Melvira, I've had the same thought. I remember before I made the leap to hi-ratio that someone--maybe several someones--on here said it doesn't really cost more because you use less.

YES!! Frustrating! I was told you'd use half as much. NOT! Unless there is something else you have to do to make that work and I just don't know about it. But if I don't use enough hi-r my icing is like crap. I saw the recipe as 5 heaping cups, then changed to 5 1/2 regular, so I'm guessing the 5 1/2 is what she ended up deciding was the best, but don't quote me!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:36am
post #27 of 49

I use 5 1/2 cups of hi-ratio, thats what she saids in her thread about her recipe & tips and also in her youtube video.

I don't do heaping cups, I level off each cup. Here is the link to her thread when she first posted the recipe:

God Bless,
Sharon

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #28 of 49

iLove Sharons recipe too!!

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #29 of 49

iLove Sharons recipe too!!

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:38pm