Bridal Shower Cupcake Help Please!!

Baking By Mylittleflutterby Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 2:22am by Mylittleflutterby

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone!

I have been asked to make cupcakes for a bridal shower we are throwing for my future sister in law and I am stuck for flavour ideas etc. The wedding colours are chocolate brown and ivory so I would like to use those colours for the cupcakes but I want to do something a little special and not just plain vanilla and chocolate. I also can't decide how to ice them and if I should fill them or not.

Some of the flavours I have debated are chocolate raspberry, maple white chocolate, margarita (my mom wants these ones lol), Lemon, some kind of coffee.. I don't know.

Could anyone please help with complimentary flavours and icing/filling ideas?

Thanks so much!

17 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 18

Having recently done a bridal shower, take my advice and don't offer too many flavors. I would say three at the most because with so many options, you have to find a way to display a sign or something stating what all the different flavors are. The options you listed sound wonderful! Maybe a monogram of the couples new last name made from chocolate in the top of each one?!?!?

Mylittleflutterby Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 18

Oh sorry I should have mentioned that I am just going to do 2 flavours (one brown and one ivory), but I can't decide on complimentary flavours

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 18

why dont you do boston cremes??? vanilla with bavarian cream filling and iced with chocolate smbc, and chocolate ones with raspberry flavoured custard with white chocolate ganache, and i also like the idea of the initial on top!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 18

Lemon cupcake, lemon curd. Or Lemon cupcake with raspberry filling.
The chocolate and raspberry sounds really good too.

I also like the idea of the little monogram on top. It sounds super cute. I just did an ivory/brown wedding cake a week ago. =o)

courtneys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtneys_cakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 18

How about tiramisu? They are a little complex to make, as there are a few steps, but the color combination works. I have pictures at home of some I made for a bridal shower last week that I can post tonight if you're interested. (And the recipe) Just let me know! icon_smile.gif

Courtney

courtneys_cakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 18

How about tiramisu? They are a little complex to make, as there are a few steps, but the color combination works. (And they are delicious!) I have pictures at home of some I made for a bridal shower last week that I can post tonight if you're interested. (And the recipe) Just let me know! icon_smile.gif

Courtney

Mylittleflutterby Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneys_cakes

How about tiramisu? They are a little complex to make, as there are a few steps, but the color combination works. I have pictures at home of some I made for a bridal shower last week that I can post tonight if you're interested. (And the recipe) Just let me know! icon_smile.gif

Courtney

That would be great!! Thanks so much for the offer!

courtneys_cakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 18

I made these cupcakes last week for a bridal shower. The bride's colors are blue and brown, so I used that for the fondant hearts (rolled out and cut with a heart shaped cookie cutter) and piped her new monogram on the hearts in the opposite colors. I think these would look very pretty using the color scheme you're working with. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Recipe for Tiramisu Cupcakes:

INGREDIENTS
Makes about 20 cupcakes
For cupcake
2 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/4 sticks (10 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk

For espresso extract
2 tbsp instant espresso powder
2 tbsp boiling water

For espresso syrup
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp Kahlua

INSTRUCTIONS
To make cupcake
Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a stand mixer, fitted with a flat beater, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix to combine. Add eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each addition. Add vanilla.
Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, ending with the flour mixture. Mix until flour just incorporated into batter.
Fill cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full and bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

To make espresso extract
In a small bowl, stir espresso powder and boiling water together until blended. Set aside.

To make espresso syrup
In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar together and bring just to a boil. Pour syrup into small bowl and stir in 1 tbsp of espresso extract and liqueur. Set aside.

Mascarpone Buttercream Frosting
INGREDIENTS
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP kahlua

Using a hand mixer, beat buffer and cheese until light and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until smooth. Make this frosting several days ahead and store lightly covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before frosting the cupcakes. Makes about 4.5 cups.

To assemble cupcakes
Poke holes in cupcakes with a fork or toothpick. Spoon about 1-2 tsp of espresso syrup over each cupcake. (Let syrup soak in a little at a time before you add more or it will overflow.) Pipe frosting over cupcake. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.

courtneys_cakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 18

It doesn't look like the attachment worked... trying again!

Its also here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1410494.html
LL

Mylittleflutterby Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 18

Those are so great!!! Thanks so much for the recipe and picture. I will have to see if I can come close to the heart idea with the fondant!

thecupcaketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcaketress Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #12 of 18

I love the double choc raspberry cupcakes in the Australian Women's weekly cupcake book. They taste fantastic with chocolate ganache (Planet cake recipe book) beneath the fonadant.

Coffee ones are nice, but mocha is more of a crowd pleaser- and they are nice with chocolate ganache too. I also like white chocolate mudcake!

cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:30am
post #13 of 18

So what did you decide to do Mylittleflutterby? What flavor combo's did you go with? And what decorations?

cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #14 of 18

So what did you decide to do Mylittleflutterby? What flavor combo's did you go with? And what decorations?

cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #15 of 18

Mylittleflutterby Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Aww thanks so much for thinking of me and asking... the shower is at the end of the month I am just a real planner so I want to get all my ideas down so I have everything.

I really like the idea of the Tiramisu cupcakes so I may make those and then something chocolate. As for decorations I am going to use chocolate and ivory colours for the icing and I am thinking I will give MMF a go and cut out some small flowers to put on them. My dad is also making a cupcake tower for me. I will be sure to take pics!

Mylittleflutterby Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:21am
post #17 of 18
Quote:

Aww thanks so much for thinking of me and asking... the shower is at the end of the month I am just a real planner so I want to get all my ideas down so I have everything.

I really like the idea of the Tiramisu cupcakes so I may make those and then something chocolate. As for decorations I am going to use chocolate and ivory colours for the icing and I am thinking I will give MMF a go and cut out some small flowers to put on them. My dad is also making a cupcake tower for me. I will be sure to take pics!

Mylittleflutterby Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #18 of 18
Quote:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%