Help Help I'm So Overwhlemed And Nervous!!!!

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 5:24am by three_sets_of_twins

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:50am
post #1 of 11

I got a wedding order for next week, 350 chocolate covered strawberries and 200 cupcake roses.
Im just so nervous and I feel I bit off more than I can chew!
Ive done the strawberry tuxedo grooms and brides before but not that many at once! I work from my home! from my kitchen! and all these items are not stuff I can do in advance!
Ok the cupcakes I will make and freeze, and I have hired someone to come in for the day to make the flowers while I make the strawberries.

- how long do they stay fresh? I bought some for a different order lastnight at midnight and now at 11 am (11 hours later) theyre starting to mush?!!?

- How long does it take to dip 350 berries and decorate?!!?
- How will I store them in my fridge?!!? I just gotta normal fridge! I guess put each in their little favor baggie??
-will I be able to stack them?!?!

I'm so nervous, this is my first wedding and the womans gonna have my bussiness cards on each table! I want to do a good job!!!!

10 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:33am
post #2 of 11

That is a lot of work. I wish you well. (I have no advice to give, except some help would be wonderful.)

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:18am
post #3 of 11

What time of day is the wedding ? Since you have done the strawberries before, how long did it take you ? How did you store them, etc.?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:20am
post #4 of 11

What time of day is the wedding ? Since you have done the strawberries before, how long did it take you ? How did you store them, etc.?

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:24am
post #5 of 11

It sounds like you have the cupcakes under control. The strawberries are really a pretty last minute thing. I think you need to set up a system that will help you work the fastest. I've read that some people will do them the night before if it is for an early wedding and the morning of if it is a late wedding. I've done them (on a small scale) up to 15 hours before using them, but I don't know a hard and fast rule, besides making sure the strawberries are firm enough to hold up while still being ripe enough.

I do know that they won't last long at all. I would suggest sending a PM to folks you see with dipped strawberry pictures (if they are still in the galleries?). I know that IndyDebi does them.

-AndSheBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-AndSheBakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 11

I've done the tuxedo strawberries before, but I wasn't getting paid for it. Buy your berries as close as you can (without jeopardizing the acquisition or your time schedule) to dipping and try to get ones that look great but are still slightly firm. If it is an evening wedding you should make them that morning. For a morning event I have made them the night before, put them into their little boxes, refrigerated them and distributed them early next morning. These are not long lasting favors, so hopefully people eat them at the wedding.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 11

It sounds to me like you are going to want a helper with the strawberries as well. I'm sure that it will turn out great!

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:53am
post #8 of 11

I read your subject line: HELP, HELP I'M SO OVERWHELMED AND NERVOUS" but then I read your screen name! Any one with three sets of twins can do ANYTHING! You can do this order, rah, rah rah! You survived twins three times, you can do these blasted cupcakes and strawberries! LOL! (BTW, I have twins and I have 7 kids, we are superwomen, hear us roar!) Best of luck with the order and the kids!

RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #9 of 11

i did an order of 200 strawberries once for a graduation party, I did them all the night before, and started as late as I possibly could. I think I started around 10pm and finished around 2am? I kept them on baking sheets lined with wax paper in the fridge and then put them in sheet cake boxes to transport, I told the woman to keep them refrigerated until it was time to put them out for the party. It turned out fine.

Just make sure you are able to purchase that many strawberries! That was the hardest part for me, because these all had to be the strawberries with stems. Luckily it was the beginning of strawberry season here, so I called a local farm and they picked them fresh for me with the stems on the morning of the day I was going to decorate them so they were really fresh.I also make them for valentines day though with grocery store berries, and i make those the night before as well...again starting as late as possible but still allowing me to get a decent nights sleep.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:30am
post #10 of 11

I did 250 chocolate covered strawberries and I think it took me an hour once I started dipping.

I washed all of the berries and laid them out on big pans on paper towels and let them dry for a couple of hours. Then I laid a few pans with wax paper. Made a big bowl of melted chocolate and started dipping. I really think it only took an hour maybe an hour and 15 once I got going on the actual dipping, and the prep wasn't really THAT BAD.

Did them around 10pm friday night for a saturday evening wedding, and then another time saturday night for a sunday afternoon wedding. They were fine.

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:24am
post #11 of 11

Wow only an hour? lol. these are tuxedo and bride strawberries though....but thanks!
and rebel yes LOL! Thank god I thought of that ! I already contacted the manager of the supermarket and he hasmade sure on the 16th (night before wedding) to reserve the berries for me!
And WOW chaniel! LOL gil you need to PM me, we're in the same boat! Yeah we are superwomen!!
Thanks everyone, its a night wedding on the 17th so I think if I start early that same morning it should be ok. I was thinking about doing all the dipping late the night before and just doing the ties and beads the same day.

My only worry now is transporting the cupcake towers, I might have to set up there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%