To Dowel Or Not To Dowel....

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 12:59am by tomatoqeen

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:42am
post #1 of 8

I just received my designer stencils -- the damask set -- and want to try the 6" tall stencil for my sister's 30th b-day (AM I NUTS OR WHAT!!) Breathe, just breathe...ok, so here is my dilemma. I need a really tall cake to fit this stencil. I am thinking three layers of cake and I usually torte and fill each layer. So, should I put a cardboard/foamcore board in there somewhere to help support the weight? I want to fill with SMBC and a peanut butter cookie. Thanks for your help!!

7 replies
tomatoqeen Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone??

tomatoqeen Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 8

Anyone??

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 8

I would place a board and a couple of straws for support, It really would be more for ease of cutting than anything. And if you use a couple of drinking straws for support you should have no worries. Just make sure not to use the bendy type straws.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 8

I've done 8 or 9 inch tiers without problems.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 8

If you are going to transport the cake and want to feel safe and secure, then boarding & dowelling is the smart thing to do.

No decorator feels more foolish than when a cake slides or collapses and it's obvious that the reason for the failure was a lack of basic supports. icon_redface.gif

Rae

tomatoqeen Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #7 of 8

thanks all for your responses!! I think I am starting to chicken out on the damask stenciling for such a tall cake my first time out. Should I start smaller? I'm just a beginner.

tomatoqeen Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #8 of 8

thanks all for your responses!! I think I am starting to chicken out on the damask stenciling for such a tall cake my first time out. Should I start smaller? I'm just a beginner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%