1St Time Using Chocopan What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By lasher Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 1:02am by anasazi17

lasher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasher Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 6

I usually use MMF but decided to try chocopan fondant & I had major probs. It kept sticking to my rolling mat, then when I finally was able to lift onto cake it had creases that I could not get smooth & it tore as I tried to stretch it. The cake cut fine at first but the next day the fondant seemed to be gluey & stuck to the knife as I cut. What did I do wrong? I still have part of the container left & 2 ckes to make this week but am afraid to use it again.

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 6

Since it's made with white chocolate, I find it a little more sensitive to heat (even the heat of yoru hands) ... which is great when I start out working it 'coz it softens up really easy and fast. But not good when I need something to dry fast (like bows, so I use satin ice for those).

I sprinkle cornstarch on my counter when I'm rolling it out. That really helps eliminate the sticking. It seems the colored chocopan is softer/stickier than white chocopan.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 6

I have had the same problem with chocopan. I have purchased it on two different occasions but had the problem of tearing both times. I had to mix 50/50 with Wilton which took away from the yummy taste.

IndyDebi...if you have any more advice on how to cover large cakes with chocopan I would be sooooo happy. I live not to far from where they have their shop...it would make so much sense to learn the ways of the Choco Pan!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 6

largest cake I've covered is a 10" square.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

I had to mix 50/50 with Wilton which took away from the yummy taste.

icon_eek.gif

people actually eat that stuff!!? (wilton) I would never mix something that good with something so bad.
theres some good MMF recipes out there if you need one, they are fairly easy too.

icon_cool.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

I had to mix 50/50 with Wilton which took away from the yummy taste.

icon_eek.gif

people actually eat that stuff!!? (wilton) I would never mix something that good with something so bad.
theres some good MMF recipes out there if you need one, they are fairly easy too.

icon_cool.gif

I know!! It is not yummy! I was in a pinch what can I say icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%