Chocolate Transfer

Decorating By erikamj Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm by forthwife

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:01pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

So, did you post a picture? We wanna see! icon_biggrin.gif

These are my fourth attempts. I'm pretty happy with them - I was going to post before and after pictures but when I woke up this morning, the kids had ate the 'mistakes'

Does anyone have any idea how to avoid the "holes" that show up? I tried dragging a toothpick through the chocolate while it was still warm, using a paintbrush and lightly tapping the transfer but nothing completely removed them.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out. It was fun after I took your advice and the transfers stopped looking like a blurred vision and like real characters icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #32 of 36

You did an excellent job. Especially considering this wasn't something you knew how to do a few days ago! The "holes" are bubbles. The can be eliminated by slightly thinning your chocolate with shortening (if it's a bit more runny, it tends to fill/flood better). Also, If you're using a cutting board as a base try giving it a few light taps immediately after you flood your primary color. I use a clear glass cutting board as a base because I can lift if up, and see from the underside where I've got bubbles and can correct them before they set. Great work, you should feel very proud of yourself! Oh yeah, I also like to add lollypop sticks to mine so I can stand them up on the cake. icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #33 of 36

Those are really great for your first figures!
If you don't want visible sticks attached to the back you can also either a) make extra long tabs of choclate on the feet of your characters which can then stick into the cake or b) make mirror image chocolate figures and attach them back to back on either side of the sticks. I have used both methods for figures that will be on the top level of the cake, so that it will look good from the back as well as the front.
The sticks have the added bonus of being convenient holders for kids to hold their "chocolate cookies". icon_smile.gif
Glad you had success and hopefully a little fun too!

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #34 of 36

Good job Amymnn. I'm going to have to try it soon. Ya'll make it look so do-able, but I know it's not easy.

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:43am
post #35 of 36

Forthwife, your idea about the clear glass cutting board is terrific! That way you can keep track of your progress and correct any mistakes that show up. I'm borrowing that idea!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #36 of 36

The mother of all invention is necessity! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%