If You Want To Do Tie-Dye

Decorating By classiccake Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm by classiccake

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 7

Several weeks ago someone asked for help doing a tie-dyed cake. I explained my technique, but the OP wanted to see a picture. I did not have a digital photo at that time. Last week I did the technique on a cake and I took photos. So here is my technique again with a photo.

I use a non-crusting buttercream. I ice the cake in a thin layer of white buttercream. Then I pipe a fan shaped design in various colors on the cake with a # 6 tip, alternating colors as you go. I put the cake in the freezer for a few minutes until the icing is firm. Then I smooth down the design. I have to put the cake back in the freezer several times until I get the entire thing smooth. Then I start at the base of the cake and pull a shish kabob stick through the colored icing so the white shows through. The finished cake photo is in my gallery.
LL

6 replies
loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 7

Wow my DD would love this-she just tie dyed a shirt today!! Thank you so much for sharing such a neat idea!! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #3 of 7

I can't see the cake? Is it my computer or CC?

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:19am
post #4 of 7

very clever! thank you for sharing!

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:31am
post #5 of 7

can't see the pic....i get msg saying that it doesn't exist?! icon_cry.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:03am
post #6 of 7

I looked in your gallery...I haven't saw a cake like this... very cool. icon_cool.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry gals, that is frustrating that the photo is gone. I spent an hour getting it downloaded...too big, too small...I felt like Goldilocks!!

I think you can still get the general idea if you look at the cake in my gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%