Clay Gun Recommendation

Decorating By calamity_clair Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 4:46am by BlakesCakes

calamity_clair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calamity_clair Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #1 of 11

Hi All

Would like to buy a clay gun, but would love a recommendation. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Clair

10 replies
Sweetstuff2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetstuff2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 11

Makins - the green one with lots of attachments.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #3 of 11

I bought the one that Jennifer Dontz uses and I LOVE it, it's like 60.00 it's a large glay gun used for ceramic clay and has different sizes of discs that you can order for it. It's a beast though but holds lots of fondant clay for ribbon borders.

calamity_clair Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 11

so where do I get one onf these monsters? icon_smile.gif... and excuse my ignornace, but who is Jennifer Dontz?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 11

For routine items, I use the light green metal "T" twist Makins Ultimate Extruder. It holds a nice amount of material, comes with lots of disks, and you can buy more disks.

The large extruder can be found online by googling clay extruder. The barrel is over a foot long and about 2 inches across. It's good for very large amounts of extruded material.

HTH
Rae

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 11

I think this is where I got mine it's the gold gun the big one.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm#DieCompatability

Jennifer Dontz is a cake teacher out of Michigan, she does excellent work and has videos and what not for sale, she and another lady Sharon Zambito Have website and sell great stuff and their cakes are here on CC, look them up under members. Hope this helps you I'm off to bed for tonight. Happy Hunting!!!!

calamity_clair Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 11

Thanks - sounds like another reason to vist the in-laws in Michigan icon_smile.gif

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 11

I just bought the Makins Ultimate as well...the green one that twists. It comes with alot of discs and is very easy to use! I love it!

calamity_clair Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #9 of 11

So if I was wanting to make a medium width rope... what sort of length do you think I would get out of the Makins?

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 11

I have the green Makins one with a T handle (about $25 at Hobby Lobby), but I don't really like it. I want one that I can use one hand to squeeze instead of two hands to twist like the green Makins.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamity_clair

So if I was wanting to make a medium width rope... what sort of length do you think I would get out of the Makins?

Depends on the amount of fondant you load, the stretchiness of it, and the size of the hole you're extruding through.

I've gotten pieces aobut 20 inches long on a good day.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%