T's Marshmallow Fondant....what Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By lejess Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm by lejess

lejess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lejess Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 7

Last week I tried to make a batch of marshmallow fondant, following the recipe "T's Marshmallow Fondant" that I found in the recipe section on this site.
I followed the directions and it went great! I thought I succeeded. I wrapped it up tight in plastic wrap, put in a plastic bag, as I do with my other fondant. I usually work with Satin Ice, but I had hoped to be successful in making my own just in case.

2 days later I went to roll out the fondant, and it was nearly impossible to work with! I tried to knead it and it was a mix of way too sticky or dry and crumbly. I couldnt get it to roll out at all, and ended up throwing it away.
This was my first attempt at making my own fondant. What the heck did I do wrong???

6 replies
jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 7

Try popping it in the microwave for about 15 seconds at a time until it is soft enough to knead by hand (be careful it will have hot spots in it!) then if it's still too crumbly you have too much powdered sugar in it. It sounds to me like you just needed to knead it a bit more.

I always mix 1 bag of marshmallows and a little more than 3/4 bag of powdered sugar until I get the right consistency.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

devilwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devilwife Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 7

I also had the same problem when I tried making MF, UGH. I hope someone has a good answer to your question. I would also like to know.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 7

I also hold back on powdered sugar...wrap and store overnite. It is usually just sticky enough for a bit of bench sugar. Also when making your own you have to really knead it. Not just by machine...I'm talking hand kneading for quite a while.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 7

If you used all the powdered sugar that is in the recipe than that is way too much. I never measure always go by feel. I usually never let mine rest I use it the same day unless coloring for a dark color and want it to rest overnight.

Make it again maybe this time use a handful of marshmellows and keep adding powdered sugar till it isn't sticky anymore. This way you can tell how to make it and not waste alot of supplies and get the feel for making it yourself.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 7

If you used all the powdered sugar that is in the recipe than that is way too much. I never measure always go by feel. I usually never let mine rest I use it the same day unless coloring for a dark color and want it to rest overnight.

Make it again maybe this time use a handful of marshmellows and keep adding powdered sugar till it isn't sticky anymore. This way you can tell how to make it and not waste alot of supplies and get the feel for making it yourself.

lejess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lejess Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the input. I did use all the powdered sugar so I'll try cutting back on that, and the microwave technique might be useful too. Wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%