The 3D Wilton Bear Cake

Decorating By Honeychild Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 3:29am by Honeychild

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a frog from the 3d bear cake pan and would love any tips from anyone who has used this pan before. I'm making a frog cake that will sit on a sheet cake to look like the frog is sitting in a pond on a lilly pad. Can the frog have a filling or is it just straight surface iced cake? I have no room for errors on this cake because I am working that same weekend at my regular job. The logistics of doing cakes and 12 hour shifts does not leave much fussing time so I got to get it right the first time! Any help would be much loved!!

4 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 5

I know some people have used a filling, both with and without the centre core. I also started a thread once about whether or not anyone has ever made the 3D bear cake without using the heating core (i.e. just a solid bear cake - nowhere to fill it). I got a lot of replies from people who had done that and found it worked well to make a more solid bear. If you do that, it would be a bit heavier, though, which would mean placing dowels under it through the sheet cake. I have only used this pan with "fur" before, and found that if I did not do a pretty thick crumb coat under the fur, that the fur fell off as the icing crusted. I don't think that will happen if you ice him smooth, though.

Honeychild Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for that information. I will definitely apply a good crumb coat first.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 5

This might sound stupid - but the two times that I made this cake - a long time ago I left the heating core in and then removed it when it was cut. Both times I knew the people very well and I knew I would get my core back. I was afraid to take it out because it would weaken it.

Or you could pull the core out and then stuff the space with left over cake from something else that you might have made that day or do the cake ball mixture.

I know that is not much help.

Honeychild Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

Thanks Peridot, every bit of information is helpful so I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%