Thinking About Next Cake...

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 5:22am by cakenutz

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #1 of 6

I have a Star Wars cake for the coming weekend. I really want to have a "fight scene" going on beneath two fondant-covered light sabers, done in RKT, connected, forming an upside-down V - like they are in the midst of battle. I haven't had luck with MMF that doesn't crack or get that elephant-skin look. But I don't have any Satin Ice and have a ton of marshmallows on hand.

I just don't want to push my luck trying to get the fondant smooth when the sabers will be prominently displayed. I don't know if I can pull off the entire design either - but would kick myself if I didn't try. Any suggestions on how to get a smooth and realistic look to the light sabers (the remainder of the cake will be buttercream) Also, is there something I can use to "paint" the handles of the light sabers to give them that "shiny" look? Thanks so much for any suggestions, I really want to do a good job on this cake.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #2 of 6

Roll your MMF out with crisco instead of powdered sugar or cornstarch.

For the shiny look, paint the handles with some vodka mixed with either gel color or luster dust, depending on if you're looking for a glossy look or a metallic look.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 6

I'll definitely try the Criso. How much vodka do I mix with the color or dust? Thanks so much for your help.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #4 of 6

I usually just put drops of vodka until I find the right consistency.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:21am
post #5 of 6

when i want to make smooth strong objects instead of fondant I use gumpaste. I think it paints much smoother also.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #6 of 6

when i want to make smooth strong objects instead of fondant I use gumpaste. I think it paints much smoother also. When your paint has dryed a very thin coat of piping gel leaves a shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%