How Do I Insert A Barbie Doll In The Wilton Wonder Mold

Decorating By Amany Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm by Amany

Amany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amany Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:51am
post #1 of 10

Hi, I want to make my first doll cake, but I don't want to use the pic. I want to use a full-size barbie doll. I bought the wilton wonder mold, but was wondering how to insert the doll in there with the least amount of damage to the cake? I appreciate all the help I can get.

thanks.

9 replies
lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 10

do you want to keep the barbie intact? i know it sounds anti-barbie icon_twisted.gif , but a lot of people pull the legs off first i think if they want to use a barbie.

if you're looking to keep the barbie, you might want to use saran wrap to push the legs together as much as possible, and also it'll stop cake getting in the joints

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:00am
post #3 of 10

I think I'd plastic wrap her too icon_biggrin.gif

You might have to bake a layer to go underneath the wonder mold to make it tall enough to accomodate Barbie's legs.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 10

Texas is right, you have to set the wondermold cake on top of another round (8") Then you take her and wrap her from the waist down with saran wrap - then you scoop out a little of the top of the wondermold cake and then gently insert the barbie and rotate her back and forth a little to get her all the way in. (I have one in my pics if you want to see how it turned out)

ccindyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccindyb Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 10

Hi, I've made a few of the "Barbie" cakes for my granddaughter using the full size doll and the Wilton Wonder Mold. I have pics of them posted. One is Tinkerbell, the other is Ariel. With both of the cakes, I wrapped the doll from the waist down to the toes very tightly with plastic wrap. I've always baked a 12" x 2" round to go underneath the wonder mold due to the fact that I needed to feed a larger group of people. In one of the cakes, (Tinkerbell) I scooped a larger hole in the wonder mold for the legs of the doll (a little bit messier, I think). On the other one, I just very slowly and gently pushed the dolls legs through the hole in the wonder mold just as I might be placing a dowel through the cake. It worked very well, no cracking or anything! Keep in mind that you should use a denser cake batter, like pound cake. I've bake all of my doll cakes prior to taking the Wilton Courses, and I don't think they turned out too bad! I hope this helps! [/b]

ccindyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccindyb Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 10

Hi, I've made a few of the "Barbie" cakes for my granddaughter using the full size doll and the Wilton Wonder Mold. I have pics of them posted. One is Tinkerbell, the other is Ariel. With both of the cakes, I wrapped the doll from the waist down to the toes very tightly with plastic wrap. I've always baked a 12" x 2" round to go underneath the wonder mold due to the fact that I needed to feed a larger group of people. In one of the cakes, (Tinkerbell) I scooped a larger hole in the wonder mold for the legs of the doll (a little bit messier, I think). On the other one, I just very slowly and gently pushed the dolls legs through the hole in the wonder mold just as I might be placing a dowel through the cake. It worked very well, no cracking or anything! Keep in mind that you should use a denser cake batter, like pound cake. I've bake all of my doll cakes prior to taking the Wilton Courses, and I don't think they turned out too bad! I hope this helps! [/b]

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 10

I did this recently and just temporarily removed the clothes and legs (they easily click back on later). I plastic wrapped the lower part of the torso and dug a shallow hole at the top of the cake and put some buttercream to hold in place then decorate the skirt and bodice with fondant. If you look in my pics you will see I also did an extra 9" round at the bottom as I felt the skirt was not enough for the 30 children at the party. PM me if you want any more help with it. Good luck!

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 10

I did this recently and just temporarily removed the clothes and legs (they easily click back on later). I plastic wrapped the lower part of the torso and dug a shallow hole at the top of the cake and put some buttercream to hold in place then decorate the skirt and bodice with fondant. If you look in my pics you will see I also did an extra 9" round at the bottom as I felt the skirt was not enough for the 30 children at the party. PM me if you want any more help with it. Good luck!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 10

For people who want the barbie's as part of the gift, I have them provide the Barbie (or I offer to pick one up and add that charge) and bake an additional 8 inch round for the bottom. If they want the pick, I would give that as well but my couple doll-cake customers so far have wanted real dolls as their daugther's would enjoy that more!

I always scope out a core in the middle to slide barbie into. The very first time I made a doll cake I did not do that and the cake cracked very badly! I have 3 doll cakes in my gallery, 1 is on a cupcake-cake, one is dora, and the other is a doll on a green flowery platform. icon_smile.gif

Amany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amany Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 10

thanks everybody for your helpful replies. Hopefully, I'll attempt one soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%