Perfectly Aligned And Even Fondant Striping-Like Planet Cake

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm by __Jamie__

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 7

Ok, I've looked and looked, and remember there being a tutorial (I think) about getting the perfect striping job when applying ribbons of fondant, where they aren't layered at all, they all are cut precisely to lay flat, like one single sheet of fondant.

Anyways, you can see in this pic, before I added the cone topper, how I only cut the brown to fit in between the blue. How do you get all of the ribbon evenly cut, where it doesn't look mine, meaning, like say, a Planet Cake striped cake? I bet the answer is so ridiculously simple (I'm hoping!) I didn't try real hard to figure it out earlier, but I am tired of layering on ribbon, it looks like a hot mess, in my opinion.

If this has been addressed on the PC forum, I'm going to scream. I am going to go check now.

icon_lol.gif
LL
LL

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 7

I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30279130@N02/sets/72157607165399596/

That cake is great though...had a look at the finished one in your photos and I like your stripes the way they are. It reminds me of a peppermint candy (not the colors, just the shape). I don't know if the ruler and scissors in the tutorial would be difficult to use with the lines on the ribbon.

Did you use a herb mincer to make the lines?

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Texas! Ya know, I like it too, but it got me thinking, I'm not going to want that look everytime, and I do have some stripey jobs coming up in a few months. And I am so over layering stripes...ugh!

And yes, Target herb mincer, with minimal pressure applied so it stayed in one piece when I pulled it off of the mat.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 7

Oh sheesh, forgot to say thanks, because, yes, I think that is the link I am thinking of. Never thought to check Flickr. Thanks again, a million times!

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 7

Yeah, that tutorial is very helpful!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #6 of 7

Jamie, that is so perfect!

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks again Rlan. I want to get them "perfecter'! Lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%