Meringue In My Buttercream?

Decorating By chryscrazy Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 12:09am by JanH

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 6

If I put some meringue powder in my buttercream will that stiffen it some? Mine crusts anyway but I wanted to make a cupcake bouquet so I was thinking I want it to dry a little harder than usual. Thanks.

If not, what is the purpose of meringe powder in royal icing? Sorry I'm so stupid! icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 6

I think the meringue powder does stiffen the icing- but I'm new to this too, so not sure... here's a bump!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 6

there are buttercream recipes that have meringue powder in them (toba garrett's recipes in the "well decorated cake" for example). i have tried a few of them, but couldn't discern any difference with the addition of the powder except for being a bit grainy.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

MP doesn't really have anything to do with the crusting. That is your sugar to fat ratio. MP does help stabilize icing in heat and humidity and can help colors from bleeding.

If you want to make your regular icing crust a little more add a little more powder sugar or use a little less crisco.

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone. Adding more sugar is what I did. I knew that would do it too but I thought if meringue had that effect then I could do it without having sweeter icing. It turned out perfect anyway. (At least the icing.)

I made the cupcake bouquet for my sister and she loved it. I think it was definitely her favorite birthday cake where I was "trying something out"!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryscrazy

If not, what is the purpose of meringe powder in royal icing?

Royal icing is basically egg whites and powdered sugar....

Meringue powder is (powdered) egg whites, with the addition of sugar, flavoring and stabilizers.

What's in meringue powder:

http://www.ochef.com/480.htm

Using meringue powder (or powdered egg whites) instead of fresh egg whites eliminates any possible salmonella risk.

Wilton Meringue Powder Royal Icing Recipe:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayArticle?articleNum=ae0253

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%