Air Holes In My Ri...help Please!

Decorating By Melchas Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm by Melchas

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 6

I am making RI flowers for a wedding cake next weekend and have little ari bubbles in the RI when I pipe it out.
I made it yesterday afternoon and re- whiped it on low witha ahnd held mixer, could this have caused it? I have to re-mix it to make more tonight, do I mix longer, faster, slower? I'm so frusterated. icon_cry.gif

5 replies
Melchas Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry for the spelling errors.

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

I'm guessing (really only guessing!) that there is extra air in your RI for either one of these two reasons:

1. you did not re-stir it enough (mine gets spongey on sitting; I stir it with a spatula until it's nice and smooth again)

2. your mixed it with mixer blades instead of stirring with a spoon. I think this incorporates air (though not sure), like whipping does, so maybe this is the culprit.

Hope this helps. I would let it settle and re-stir later tonight. Let us know how it turns out, or if you figure out the cause!

icon_smile.gif patti

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 6

I usually bring mine together by just stirring vigorously with a fork. If you use a mixer, less than a minute on medium should do it.

Another solution that works very well is that after mixing, put about a cup of the RI on a clean countertop or cutting board and then smooth it out for a few minutes using a metal offset spatula. You can actually see it shrinking because you're pressing out all of the air.

Gather it back up with the spatula and put it in your piping bag.

HTH
Rae

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 6

you could let it stand for a while with a damp cloth over the bowl until yoy see the bubbles in the surface, and then tap it againts your counter. And as everyone said, stir don't whip

Melchas Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 6

I used a hand held to re-mix and a KA to make it. I haven't worked with RI too much, do you use a spoon to re-mix instead of a mixer? How is it supposed to look when it is re-mied? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%