Stacking Cakes

Decorating By BakedbyLisa Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 12:37am by varika

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 22

I was wondering what everyone else does between the layers when stacking cakes. I typically use cocnut to ensure the fondant layers do not stick together, but I have not really seen other people do that. I have to make a four tiered cake in two weeks and wanted to have other options. Any help would be appreciated!

21 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 22

I don't use anything on top of the fondant and it's never stuck. I usually let it dry overnight before I stack it and I think that toughens it up a little bit so it's not as sticky.

I'm interested to see what other people do, though icon_biggrin.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 22

I only use buttercream so I may not be of any help but....I don't put anything between my "stacks".

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 22

Hell, am i the only one that wants my layers to stick together a bit.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 22

I would never ever use coconut. Too many people hate the stuff. And fondant doesn't stick anyway.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 22

If my cake showed up with even one flake of coconut on it, I would demand a full refund because the cake would be totally inedible for me! icon_mad.gif You would be very welcome to take the whole cake back with you.

Fondant doesn't stick.
A crusting BC doesn't stick.
I never use anything between tiers and I've never had a sticking problem (and I cut most of my cakes, so I see it first hand).

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 22

I've never put anything between tiers either. Now I wouldn't hurl the cake back at you like Debi, but would wonder why there was coconut on the cake!

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 22

I use parchment paper between tiers. I make a buttercream that isnt a crusting one, parchment works perfect all the time. I used to use toasted coconut or walnuts, of course asking first about allergies or if they like either.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 22

When I first joined CC, I lurked for a while. Then someone asked the same question that you asked (Baked by Lisa), well I said to myself here is something I can actually answer. I posted about putting coconut between the layers and I got flamed, slammed whatever you want to call it. I nearly left the site for good. I still put coconut between my layers, people still love it and I have never had any one complain. I tell my customers that is what I use and why and in 30 years I have only had one person ask for something different.
Lisa you do what works for you. and let the slammin' roll off your back into a big pile of coconut icon_wink.gif
I still love CC, but I hardly ever come here anymore, too much drama!!

Jibbies

jibbies Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 22

When I first joined CC, I lurked for a while. Then someone asked the same question that you asked (Baked by Lisa), well I said to myself here is something I can actually answer. I posted about putting coconut between the layers and I got flamed, slammed whatever you want to call it. I nearly left the site for good. I still put coconut between my layers, people still love it and I have never had any one complain. I tell my customers that is what I use and why and in 30 years I have only had one person ask for something different.
Lisa you do what works for you. and let the slammin' roll off your back into a big pile of coconut icon_wink.gif

Jibbies

jibbies Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 22

Jibbies

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 22

Because I really, really REALLY hate coconut! There is no font big enough to show you how much I HATE coconut. I'll make the sign of the cross and back out of the room if there's coconut in there. Really. REALLY. Hate it.

So it just ticks me off when anyone ASSUMES that it's ok to put it on my cake. Think of it as the same as someone using your cake as a toilet before they delivered it to you. That's how bad I think it is.

Edited to add: Yes, there are times you need to do "what works for you" but don't you think you need to be considerate of what the CUSTOMER prefers?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 22

EWWWW--you really hate coconut Debi!!! I've used parchment paper too, but find that I really don't need anything between layers because I use crusting buttercream. I even had one bride tell me when she was first talking about ordering her wedding cake from me that she had an aunt that had helped out at some catering jobs and I needed to be sure to use pillars so the cake tiers wouldn't stick to each other and pull the icing off of each other. I just thought to myself, biting my tongue, "Aw honey, I've done about 60 wedding cakes as of today, and I kind of have that part figured out." icon_smile.gif

jibbies Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 22

This is just what I am talking about.
I explain to them what and why, and I don't ever assume, however like I stated before only one person has said please use something else. If any of my customers expresed a dislike for coconut I would not use it.
I just think its funny that somehow coconut has become evil. icon_lol.gif

Jibbies

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 22

Um, I use cake boards....::ducks:: If you let the fondant dry sufficiently prior to stacking, there shouldn't be a problem, or a piece of parchment or wax paper should do just fine.

I agree with Debi, I wouldn't use any type of nut or coconut because nut allergies have almost become the norm and you never know if one of the guests might go into anaphylactic shock because of something you put on your cake that contained nuts. People can actually die from this. (Not being overly dramatic, just telling the truth.) B

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #16 of 22

For me I dislike the texture of coconut so I do not use it. I just did my sisters 5 tier wedding cake and the only tier that I had any sticking on was the very bottom and I think that is because it was just a smig taller than the 4" pillars of my sps system. they never complained though. I ended up cutting it as the ones who were supose to just seemed to disappear in the crowd.

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #17 of 22

Isn't this forum a place to ask questions and learn? Opinions are expected and welcome, but I agree with Jibbies- I rarely post any questions because of comments like Debi's. What a shame. BakedbyLisa- as long as your customers know that you use coconut between your layers and you find it works for you- go for it! As for me, I only make fondant or chocolate covered cakes that are more than one tier and I don't put anything between the layers.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #18 of 22

As far as coconut and nuts go, any decorator worth their craft asks their customers likes/dislikes/allergies anyway, so the coconut thing is kind of a moot point. As a nurse, I have taken care of many people with allergic reactions to things, even anaphylaxis, the most severe type of allergic reaction, to chocolate milk, so it's an automatic for me. And peanuts have become such a problem lately, I even check about that type of allergy and look for the words - processed in a facility that processes nuts.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #19 of 22

First....I don't really think Debi was slamming anyone, she was just stating her opinion which is why we post questions here in the first place, to get opinions from other cakers (whether or not we like the tone of the opinion).

Second....if the cake dec. tells the bride that she uses coconut or nuts between layers and the bride is okay with that - does the bride tell all of her guests that there is nuts or coconut? I'm alergic to coconut - I would hate to be at someone's wedding and have to spit out cake in front of everyone. The same issue goes for nuts - how can you know that everyone coming to your reception is non-alergic? But at the same time, there will be people alergic to strawberries, chocolate and all other types of food so you not ever going to be able to make something that "everyone" will eat!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Because I really, really REALLY hate coconut! There is no font big enough to show you how much I HATE coconut. I'll make the sign of the cross and back out of the room if there's coconut in there. Really. REALLY. Hate it.

So it just ticks me off when anyone ASSUMES that it's ok to put it on my cake. Think of it as the same as someone using your cake as a toilet before they delivered it to you. That's how bad I think it is.

Edited to add: Yes, there are times you need to do "what works for you" but don't you think you need to be considerate of what the CUSTOMER prefers?

I think you like coconut as much as I like mushrooms. I won't eat anything with mushrooms in it. Picking them out isn't enough for me. If there's a mushroom on my pizza, it's not edible...even the slices that the mushroom isn't touching.

My daughter is the same way about nuts...my mom keeps trying to feed her a nut hidden in something to convince her that nuts can be eaten, but every time she does, Valerie gags until she pukes. She's not allergic, just hates 'em. icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #21 of 22

I've never heard of putting coconut between the stacks. If your customers don't mind, then I guess it's not been a problem. I'd just be sure to always let them know that's your procedure so they have the option to let you know if it's a problem or not.

What I find so interesting about the subject of coconut is that people either love it or hate it. Seems there's not a lot of middle ground where coconut is concerned. Rarely have I come across a food item that has such extremes when it comes to liking it or not.

I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut icon_biggrin.gif - fresh off the tree, sweetened and shredded in the bag, dessiccated, cream of coconut, balls of coconut covered in chocolate, pina coladas, you name it. To paraphrase Elaine Benes, "You put coconut in front of me and I'll eat it 'til I pop!"

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I am TOTALLY with you, Debi. Coconut makes me want to vomit when I put it in my mouth, that's how bad I hate it.

Actually, the longer I'm here, the more I realize I should have had words with the bakery that did my big 30th birthday cake a year and a half ago--it had a blowout, and then the icing ALL fell off the cake in transit home from the venue, even the little "anniversary" tier, and though I had quite specifically said that I didn't want coconut even wafted in the vague direction of my cake, there it was between the layers. It was GROSS. ...they also didn't bring boxes big enough for 3/4 of a 3-tier cake even though we had specifically asked if they could, just boxes big enough for the top tiers.

I mean, if your customer has no problem with you using coconut, then sure, go ahead. But do listen and jot down that if anyone says "I don't like coconut," use something ELSE.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%