Make Fondant Look Like Fur??? Please Help!

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm by linedancer

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:34am
post #1 of 8

Is there anyway to make fondant look like it has a furry texture without piping with the grass tip onto it?? Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!!!

7 replies
Michelle104 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:52am
post #2 of 8

No one has any ideas at all??? icon_sad.gif

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:28am
post #3 of 8

When I made a teddy bear, I just poked small holes all over the surface to resemble fur. You can also use a thick layer of fondant/gumpaste and take small cuticle scissors and snip the fondant all over so it stands up.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #4 of 8

I am not sure if you can tell by this picture, but the teddy bears in the picture, I textured their fondant by swiping into the fondant lightly with a tool like the veiner to make lines all over in the fondant giving a furry effect.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1257663.html

Michelle104 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much for the responses! icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 8

I used the wilton cutter/embosser, the little wheel thingy, when I made these cat cookies. It was really easy. Just run the wheel over and over the fondant in the direction you want the "fur" to lay. You might not be able to see it in these pics, but it turns out pretty nicely. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1353751

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:32am
post #7 of 8

You have to check this out. The lady that did this definitely achieved the look. The dog cake she sculpted looks pretty realistic. Watch...

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 8

That cake is really darling, wish I could carve like that. She used basically the same technique I was talking about, using a bit larger and flat tool. The stroking to make the fur is about the same. Thanks paula19 for sharing that link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%