7.3.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm by bisbqueenb

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:50am
post #31 of 48

starcity, put a straw cut to a wee bit less than the height of the cake, and put the wires into the straw. It will take quite a few, but it looks fab.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:50am
post #32 of 48

Does getting a frozen red velvet cupcake from freezer, putting in it the microwave and eating it count?!?!? icon_biggrin.gif

I love red velvet cupcakes with buttercream.... it's the reason I can't lose my last 10 lbs!!!! arrgghhh!!

Sorry....just venting (while putting tennis shoes on to start my workout...yeah.....)

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:53am
post #33 of 48

Thanks leahs...Do I need to like plug the bottom of the straws? I'm making a cake for tomorrow with a "burst" of stars so I can get some practice on the family. LOL

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #34 of 48

No. Cut the straw. Push the straw into the cake. Put the wires into the straw.

The bottom of the straw will be resting on the cakeboard.

starcitycakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #35 of 48

GOTCHA!! icon_smile.gif

starcitycakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #36 of 48

GOTCHA!! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #37 of 48

I'm working on my first-ever wedding cake tonight. I've got the two top tiers already done and I'm about to start on the 14". I've never covered a cake that big with fondant before but I'm sure it's going to work.

Tomorrow we have to take the cake about 50 miles out of the city, I had to borrow my mom's wagon because it just wasn't going to work in our car. The house that the cake is going to is up a steep, windy road and I really hope the cake will behave itself on the trip there. The table they're putting it on is about shoulder-height to me, so my husband will probably have to get up on a ladder to put it together. I can't get on a ladder because I broke my leg in Feb. and it's not broke anymore but it's not all the way recovered yet.

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #38 of 48

So, Texas, you using SPS?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:18am
post #39 of 48

I am done with all my cakes for the week. This week has been pretty easy because so many people went out of town and did not order...yay!!! I needed a break!!!

My hardest cake was picked up yesterday. It was a cigar box cake. It was easier than I thought thanks to all the great ideas I found in the gallery.
Here's a pic...
LL
LL

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:28am
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

So, Texas, you using SPS?

No, we're going to assemble it when we get there, just the hollow wilton dowels and foamcore.

I was on a tight budget icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:30am
post #41 of 48

OK, all, kitchen is reasonably clean and I'm heading to bed. Hang in there those of you still working.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:39am
post #42 of 48

Good Morning, fellow CC's.

I don't have any orders but I wanted to sign in and say hello. I think about the FNCC during the week more and more. I told my girlfriends and husband, I wish we could all be on audio speakerphones, that way, we could talk while we work (or you work) icon_sad.gif

During the week I was thinking about doing 4th of July cookies - cutout star sugar cookies in red, blue and white fondant but that never materialized and we spent the day cleaning out the basement (we probably haven't done that in about 7 years - YIKES! icon_surprised.gif Tomorrow is the garage). I even bought luster dust to use for the first time. Can anyone give me any hints since I've never done it? Anyway, I did buy some things to make fruit pizza a few days ago so I could make that up after I make up the sugar cookie dough tomorrow am.

We just got back from having a very late dinner - halfoff appetizers at Applebees and I rewarded myself with a Long Island Ice Tea. I missed out on the cookie cutter sale from Foosecutters so that's a bummer.

I hope your cakes are going well and you all enjoy a great 4th of July as we celebrate America's birthday (I wonder what kind of cake "she'd" like!

Enjoying our freedom,

Debbie

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:34am
post #43 of 48

I'm here - it's 3am and I am soooo tired!

First question - how much should you fill a bundt pan? That'll be my last cake, but I don't want it to be a disaster! Half full? More? Less?

I finished a 2-tier wedding cake covered in ganache, cookies, choc covered strawberries & blueberries. Made cakes for cake pops for tomorrow & made star shaped brownies (2 batches). Made leftover vanilla almond cake (6"). Now if I could just get this bundt in the oven I'd be done for tonight!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:48am
post #44 of 48

I've only made bundt cakes with a cake mix, an extra egg and a box of instant pudding, and that fills the pan up about halfway. The cake is nowhere near overflowing the pan when it's done.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:25am
post #45 of 48

been working on a nintendo wii cake.. it has really been hard. my family was here most of the day.. swimming ,etc. but i loved it.. my only grandchild.. travis was here. so i was really happy.. but all of it got me behind with starting on this cake.. had issues with the satin ice. i kneaded and kneaded .. with shortening,etc. but , before i could finish smoothing ,etc. it wrinkled on edges.. couldn,t do anything about it then, too late. but all in all it looks pretty good. quit at 4:00.. now checking out the fncc... i will put the finishing touched on around 8:30 in the morning.. told my husband . to get me up then, he said ok... and that he would help me clean good before client came to get cake. i have been cleaning along with doing the cake. i just had to walt away at times.. hope all gets theirs done and happy with what they did..

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:38am
post #46 of 48

Just finished 60 of 160 RI flowers for a wedding cake next weekend. I just got back from vaca in MT last week and am way behind for next weekend. I have no more in me for tonight...off to bed!
Happy 4th everyone! Be safe and have a good one. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #47 of 48

About Satin Ice. Right out of the bucket, there is pretty much NO need to knead in shortening. That's a trick if your fondant is a bit dry. Right out of the bucket it should be fine.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Heh...Arizona, nasty summers. Seriously, they almost put you in a coma. So cake-ing here requires an outrageous electricity bill (air conditioning), excellent a/c in the car, and no outdoor functions.

Well....NOT ALL of Arizona is in the 110's! hehehehe..I lived for 20 years where Jamie is....Yuma...and know what that is like! But now I'm in SE Arizona, in the mountains and it RARELY gets to 100...most years 96 is our seasonal high! And we have the monsoon rains starting the end of June for a couple of months....now that does create some humidity for us which is not our normal 5-10% humidity....more like 50%.

Was in Phoenix last week for the Nicholas Lodge demo and it was 111 and climbing....couldn't get home fast enough!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%