Help, Problem With Butterceam

Decorating By pink7200 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 2:17pm by 1234me

pink7200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink7200 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 14

this is my third batch of buttercream that I have made in the last hour and a half and it is not coming out right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I normally work with a hi-ratio shortening and have made buttercream before this is not like it's my 10th time. However, a family member asked me to bake a cake this morning for a friends party tomorrow. I was out of hi-ratio shortening and decided instead to make wiltons buttercream. Now, I'm following all instructions and the only thing I can think of is that the shortening is not cooperating.. I'm using Crisco for the first time; normally for this recipe i woud use sam's club brand. The butterceam is not smooth and it appears as if it I was making whipp cream instead; it's texture is exactly like riccota cheese. Nothing works to smooth this out not even a hot bench scraper. Please help...

Thanks in advance..

13 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 14

What type of sugar are you using, is the butter soft or is it right out of the fridge? I have made the wilton with high ratio but it shouldn't matter with crisco or sweetex. I used to use crisco all of the time before they took the transfat out of it. Something isn't right. Are you creaming the crisco and butter 1st before adding the sugar? Can you explain what you're doing step by step? You aren't using the sugar out of the box are you?

Kat

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 14

Here is some info on buttercream and some facts.
Or you can try Indydeby's recipe

Edna icon_smile.gif

pink7200 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 14

I'm using all shortening, powered sugar, 2Tb of water and 1Tb of meringue powder. I cream the shortening with water and flavoring then add all dry ingredients. mix at medium speed for a few minutes until creamy. It might be this new crisco; I don't know what else it could be. I'm following the book to the letter .... I'm telling ya it don't look pretty. I did find a way to make it somewhat smooth; I'm using printing paper instead of a viva towel. It helps but it's not to my liking...

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 14

yikes, well I guess my approach would be to whip some of the dry ingridients with the shortening first. water + shortening= dont mix well. oil and water repel eachother so i think it would be a mess to try and mix the 2

with hi ration shortening its better for mixing with liquids and emulsifying better, regular shortening will not mix as smoothly with liquid as hi ratio like you are use to. you may want to try indi debi's buttercream if you give up on that one, its awesome and you can use crisco and it will turn out great.

pink7200 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 14

I just did one more batch and again followed the instructions to the letter it came out perfect.... The only thing different was the shortening I got another brand ... may be I just got a bad batch of crisco ..

thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #7 of 14

I've never heard of anything like that happening. I wish I could help you more. As long as you cream the crisco you shoudln't have any problem adding the water, I would alternate though. I usually add the sugar first though then the liquid as needed.

katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 14

Good I'm glad to hear it worked out. Good luck

Kat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 14

You've got the "new" Crisco WITHOUT transfat. It sucks.

pink7200 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #10 of 14

Leahs, it does suck, like I said before I'm not doing anything differnt. i'll stick w/ sweetex or sams brand

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 14

Water doesn't work with the new Crisco. You need some fat like Heavy whipping cream. Better yet, if not using HR shortening, use the Walmart Shortening. It has trans Fat in it and works really well.

pink7200 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:53am
post #12 of 14

steplite
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:36 pm Post subject: buttercream problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water doesn't work with the new Crisco. You need some fat like Heavy whipping cream. Better yet, if not using HR shortening, use the Walmart Shortening. It has trans Fat in it and works really well.

That's good to know, I believe your right.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:35am
post #13 of 14

When you mixed the shortening and water did you beat it for a long time? Sometimes this makes the crisco and icing wonky.

I use crisco (how long will it be referred to as the new crisco) and water and don't have that problem. So I wouldn't agree that that is what it is. I also mix the crisco, water and flavors then add the powder sugar and MP.

Take a little bit of the icing and add some powder sugar or cornstarch to it and see if that helps. It sounds like it could have gotten too thin. Hmmm.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 14

I use the new crisco and milk and have not had any problems. I also use butter with it - don't know if that makes a difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%