Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:31pm
post #481 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I feel ya! I swore I wouldn't spend a lot on gadgets but since joinng CC, I've bought 2 airbrushes, an EI printer, a projector,and a Cricut... I 'spose Agbay will be next!

icon_wink.gif

LOL..................agbay is next on my list!

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #482 of 596

Agbay?....uh oh...bet there's a thread for that too

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 10:00pm
post #483 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncaillouet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

That's excellent! Is she pushing the DVD too? What does she call the class?? How does LM feel about it, since she "created" the method?

OK, I found the information. Still, did she get the idea from LM? Or did she develop her own technique?

Since I didn't think of it myself, I would personally not want to take the credit.

And please don't read anything into what I'm writing icon_smile.gif I am just saying that I would love to teach LM''s method, using her DVD as a basis, and running through it as a class.

L McClure taught Carrie how to use the Cricut to cut gum paste. She knows about the class and supports her in this. She also personally taught the other people who used the Cricut in the newest ultimate cake off. Credit should be given to her, but so many people forget where the idea came from.

Someone else on page 20 or so of this thread said that she'd been using the cricut for gumpaste for a while, and didn''t know that anyone else had been using it for that. There aren't many truly original ideas around...Sometimes the "credit" is more about getting the publicity for something before someone else does! :wink

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #484 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

So, while I'm waiting for my Cricut to arrive, I've amassed a huge collection of svg files to use with SCAL. I woke up the other morning and a lightbulb went off and I'm wondering if any of you have tried this (if so and I missed the post, I apologize!)...

I started d/ling pics of the outlines of all the expensive flower cutters. I'm thinking if I convert then to svg, I can let the cricut do the cutting and I don't have to spend a ton on petal cutters!

What do you think? Here's an example of what I found (prior to converting to svg)...

Ha ha, I was just thinking of this, and I wrote something about doing this on my facebook page about an hour ago! I also just posted about there not being many really original ideas anymore icon_rolleyes.gif . I do think that would be a good use for the cricut, because I can't see doing a ton of wedding cakes with it, not everyone wants scrollwork all over their cakes. It will be useful for making the flower petal shapes, though.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:52am
post #485 of 596

I've been playing with Cricut for the first time today in between batches of cuppies... I cut some cute cupcake wrappers and found templates for several more...

I got 4 out of each 12x12 sheet. I made 24 wrappers in about 8 mins and it cost me $3.00!

(these are Bakerella's S'mores cuppies, btw!)
LL

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:22pm
post #486 of 596

what is the best to use,gumpaste or fondant? also is there a certain brand that is better to use?

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 7:44pm
post #487 of 596

I have decided to buy the Cricut Create tomorrow at Big Lots for $99, and also buy the Make The Cut software ~ one sale until tomorrow for $58.48. I figure between not have to purchase tappit letters anymore (that are never the right size for the project I'm working on) and not having to buy cupcake wrappers, I will make my money back very, very quickly! I'm also excited about being able to create my own wall stencils instead of being limited to the silly sayings they have at the stores!

Wish me luck~ Hopefully I will not have any problems getting my fondant and gumpaste to cut properly!

PS ~ does anyone else call this thing "cry-cut" with a long "i"? Before I knew what it was, that's what I called it, and now I can't call it "cricket" to save my life!!!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 7:47pm
post #488 of 596

Ifv you happen to catch the Cricut infomercial, after hearing that little crciket chirp everytime it switches segments, you won't have any problems calling it 'Cricket'!
lol

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm
post #489 of 596

PS ~ does anyone else call this thing "cry-cut" with a long "i"? Before I knew what it was, that's what I called it, and now I can't call it "cricket" to save my life!!![/quote]

That's so funny! That's what I called when I 1st started looking @ them. I asked a JoAnn's employee where the cry-cuts were. She looked @ me like I was an idiot. I had to explain what the machine did then she knew what I was talking about.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:42pm
post #490 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

PS ~ does anyone else call this thing "cry-cut" with a long "i"? Before I knew what it was, that's what I called it, and now I can't call it "cricket" to save my life!!!

That's so funny! That's what I called when I 1st started looking @ them. I asked a JoAnn's employee where the cry-cuts were. She looked @ me like I was an idiot. I had to explain what the machine did then she knew what I was talking about.

I am laughing so hard at this right now! (I'm not laughing at you, but with you!) I had seen the commercial a long time ago, so I knew how to say it. But I'm from the south, and I can just hear you asking that in the store!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:16am
post #491 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I am laughing so hard at tis right now! (I'm not laughing at you, but with you!) I had seen the commercial a long time ago, so I knew how to say it. But I'm from the south, and I can just hear you asking that in the store!

Me too, after I had it at home about a week I noticed the cricut on the bow and the light bulb came on LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lecrn Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:27pm
post #492 of 596

Yes, I deserve to be laughed AT! My southern accent is pretty strong.

BTW, I had some great success with my Cricut last night.
DH blade @ 5
Speed 3
Pressure 2
Wilton fondant with tylose
Fondant rolled to a 4 on my Atlas pasta machine
Small amt shortening on the mat
Small amt shortening smeared on top of the fondant
Let fondant sit for 10 min.
No tears, no jagged edges
I may also try placing the fondant (on the mat) in the freezer for several min as suggested either here or another post.

Starkie Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:31pm
post #493 of 596

Just bought my Cricut Create at Big Lots! I got there an hour early (online opening time was wrong!), but that's a good thing, since I got the first of only 4 machines that they had at $99!!! Wish me luck!!!

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #494 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

Just bought my Criicut Create at Big Lots! I got there an hour early (online opening time was wrong!), but that's a good thing, since I got the first of only 4 machines that they had at $99!!! Wish me luck!!!

Good for you! My Big Lots only had 3. I was about the 5th person in line. I am actually pretty irritated!

lecrn Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:42am
post #495 of 596

I also forgot to mention that I greased up the blade with some shortening (being very careful) btw ea. cut. Also, clean the blade btw ea. cut.
I just tried cutting some Satin Ice mixed with tylose & it worked great too.

I'm so excited! The decor for the cake I'm doing this weekend will be mostly made with the Cricut.

Starkie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #496 of 596

Thanks for the tip, lecrn! I need to get a cord to hook up my Cricut to my laptop so I can use the Make The Cut software, and also get a deep cut blade and housing. Hopefully I will be cutting fondant and gumpaste by the end of the week!

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:08am
post #497 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncaillouet

L McClure taught Carrie how to use the Cricut to cut gum paste. She knows about the class and supports her in this. She also personally taught the other people who used the Cricut in the newest ultimate cake off. Credit should be given to her, but so many people forget where the idea came from.

Linda showed us how to use the cricut machine about a year ago and we were one of the teams to use it on the Ultimate Cake Off Season 2. We mentioned several times that Linda had shown us the method. I'm not sure if it will make the show. Anytime we demo the machine, I never mention how to modify the expression (machine we use) I tell them to buy the DVD by going to her website. We are very thankfull, as it has been profitable for us. I am attaching a photo of one of our cakes.
LL

Starkie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #498 of 596

Jennifer, that is beautiful! Can I ask you ~ how long and how much practice did it take you to become proficient at using the Cricut for cakes? And do you feel that you can offer your customers just about anything now that you have your modified Cricut working in your kitchen? I'd love to hear the "business" side of what the Cricut can do for you! Thanks so much!

JenniferAtwood Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #499 of 596

Starkie,
It took us about 120 man hours to become what I call proficient. We did make ever mistake that is possible in a commercial setting. We now offer other bakeries help so it cuts the time to 6 hours. After working on and off for a few days and becoming frustrated, we called Linda to see what we were doing wrong. I have to say Linda is a friend of my grandmothers and was in town a few days later for an ICES show. She was kind enough to stop back by and show us our problem. We were rolling our gumpaste to thick. After this we still had to tweek a few more things.

As far as being able to offer brides/customers more options, yes and no. What I mean by that is that it's not that a bride can get more options, but more options are in her price range. I could have done the black and white using cutters or hand painting, but that would have taken 4 times as long. I charge by the hour, so this customer was able to afford a cake that (if hand done) would have been out of her price range.

The black and white cake pattern came from a hand drawn scroll. We had to modify the pattern some once it was scanned in. It took about 2 hours to cricut (you can be doing other things during this time), and 30 min. to apply the images.

I have gone to several bakeries to help them "tweek" their process. And most say that they make their money back by it just cutting out polka dots. Sorry if this is long.

lecrn Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #500 of 596

Wow, Jennifer! That's so beautiful!! I haven't tried intricate cuts such as yours. That's very inspiring.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #501 of 596

That's a wonderfull cake Jennifer.

I'm sure you've seen the new Circut Cake Cutter and was wondering if you'll be replacing your old machine with the new machine when it come out.

TIA

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:18pm
post #502 of 596

That cake is stunning! I am still mad at my inability to use my Cricut...lol
There are a couple of things that I have on my shopping list and Linda's dvd is one of them.
Thanks for sharing the pic!

JenniferAtwood Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:11am
post #503 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

That's a wonderfull cake Jennifer.

I'm sure you've seen the new Circut Cake Cutter and was wondering if you'll be replacing your old machine with the new machine when it come out.

TIA

We currently have 4 machines that we use on cakes only. I will have to take a look at the machine before investing that much money.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:51pm
post #504 of 596

Starkie- got my Cricut 2/14, too. Got Make-the-Cut, too, and yes, I call it Cry-Cut, too! I went to Hobby Lobby this week because Cry-Cut (LOL) is 30% of all accessories. What cord do you need to hook up your machine to the computer?

juniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniecakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #505 of 596

After reading all these wonderful posts and seeing these fabulous cakes I decided to purchae a Cricut. I already bought Linda's dvd but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Can anyone tell me what items are a must to start off with? I'm gonna look on ebay first so I kinda want to know what I'm looking for icon_lol.gif

Starkie Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:34pm
post #506 of 596

AKS, I bought a printer cord at Wal-Mart for $15 ~ it has one flat end and one box end, so you can hook the Cricut up to a laptop. Juniecakes, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Make The Cut software instead of buying any more cartridges. I tried it out and it works GREAT. There are even some online tutorials for the software use with Cricut. I haven't tried making cuts in gumpaste yet ~ hopefully tomorrow. I ordered Linda McClure's DVD, and I'm looking forward to seeing that, too!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:48pm
post #507 of 596

they are coming out with a new cricut cake machine. do a google on it. it looks wonderful, but cost $399.00 I really just want the new cake cartrige and then buy the reg. cricut machine. I wonder if that would work?
any one know?

melody

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #508 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

they are coming out with a new cricut cake machine. do a google on it. it looks wonderful, but cost $399.00 I really just want the new cake cartrige and then buy the reg. cricut machine. I wonder if that would work?
any one know?

Right now you can only get the cake cartridge with the new machine. You can learn how to make any design you want. Linda McClure has a brand new DVD featuring Damask Wedding Cakes and teaches you how to make your own designs and use SCAL or MTC. see it at
c r e a t i v e d e s i g n s c a k e s . c o m

melody

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #509 of 596

WTH! am I doing wrong? I have the Cricut Expression, I watched Linda's DVD & even used my darn pasta machine & I cant get this Cricut to do what I want it to do. Ok I must say I didn't have the deep cutting blade at first so I figured that was the problem, but I have that now too & it was still a mess. I almost bounced that very expensive machine off my kitchen walls icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif I'm so frustrated. I cant get it right. I'm gonna go buy some tylose tonight & mix it with my fondant & not use my gumpaste & see how that works. Help me please someone, I'm still making flex payments on this machine and hating I bought it now. How dry does the gumpaste or fondant need to be before you try to cut on it? and how thin should it be? I feel like such a loser when I see everyone else's cricut work and is anyone else having problems using it? Thanks for any help.

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #510 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTs

WTH! am I doing wrong? I have the Cricut Expression, I watched Linda's DVD & even used my darn pasta machine & I cant get this Cricut to do what I want it to do. Ok I must say I didn't have the deep cutting blade at first so I figured that was the problem, but I have that now too & it was still a mess. I almost bounced that very expensive machine off my kitchen walls icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif I'm so frustrated. I cant get it right. I'm gonna go buy some tylose tonight & mix it with my fondant & not use my gumpaste & see how that works. Help me please someone, I'm still making flex payments on this machine and hating I bought it now. How dry does the gumpaste or fondant need to be before you try to cut on it? and how thin should it be? I feel like such a loser when I see everyone else's cricut work and is anyone else having problems using it? Thanks for any help.

When I was having problems I emailed Linda McClure and told her what was happening. It turned out my problem was the gum paste. She gave me some great information and some hints on how to get a clean cut. Now I can cut any design sucessfully. Here is her email from her web site
jefflindamcclure @ bellsouth.net

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%