Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #361 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Thanks I really hate it when I don't know what I need, I just don't want to turn around a spend hundreds of dollars on cartridges when you only use a couple of the designs. Have you ever cut stencils with your cricut, for icing transfers, and do you have any advice, as always greedy for knowledge. TIA Deb

As far as SCAL and Make the Cut go, I say do your research, ALL of the SVG boards and there is a ton of info about it. I love SCAL and yes, like any software there is a learning curve, but there are incredible people out there who have made a virtual SCAL University on video, it's incredible you can learn everything plus some, I will try to post some of my favorite sites here, if they get blocked send me a meaasge and I will email you.
Now Make the Cut seems great, no doubt, but you have to remember it is new software and is bound to have bugs etc. also with it being new there is nowhere near as much support, tutorials, info etc as there is with SCAL. I'm not saying it is bad in any way, just trying to explore some of the pros and cons I've been in discussions about. It does have some features that are a not available in SCAL, but nothing so major I would buy it in addition to my SCAL2. If I were a brand new buyer, I might lean more towards it, but like I said there aren't nearly as many tutorials to get fully going with it. So after all of that I still say, do some research, neither program is cheap so I would hate for anyone to jump the gun and then be unhappy because they didn't know this or that. Sorry to be so wordy about it, but I was and am a Crafter/Scrapbooker first so this stuff is near and dear to my Cricut lovin' heart icon_smile.gif
Two of my favorite sites, that are talking alot about this right now & for all around SVG Cricut info, files, tutorials are:

SVGCUTS dot COM -- Extensive Videos, Sure Cuts A Lot tutorials and much more. The best resource for all things SVG (visit the forums too)

and

Above Rubies Studio dot COM

Deb I have cut a lot of stencils with my Cricut w/ SCAL and w/ Cartridges, works great, icing sheets are easy too. I just posted the stencil settings on another thread, but if you go to Above Rubies Studio she has a huge cutting guide and it's free to download, she did a ton of research and trial to come up with cut, speed, depth settings for and insane amount of materials, check it out!

I really hope this helps some of you, I know how overwhelming it might seem to some, especially whe you just wanna make some cakes icon_smile.gif But it is all well worth it, the Cricut is an amazing tool with so many possibilities. Andrea

andpotts Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:05pm
post #362 of 596

Hey just wanted to say, woo hoo, I knew it, Sure Cuts Alot has just come out with upgrade 2.006 and you no longer need Inkscape and it will now do all the stuff Make the Cut does, competition in the marketplace does good things!!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #363 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Hey just wanted to say, woo hoo, I knew it, Sure Cuts Alot has just come out with upgrade 2.006 and you no longer need Inkscape and it will now do all the stuff Make the Cut does, competition in the marketplace does good things!!

Good to know! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:59am
post #364 of 596

Has everyone removed the rubber rollers on their cricut or just moved them to the side? The creative designs DVD from Linda McClure says to cut them off but I'm wondering if sliding them to the side will work.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #365 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Has everyone removed the rubber rollers on their cricut or just moved them to the side? The creative designs DVD from Linda McClure says to cut them off but I'm wondering if sliding them to the side will work.

I rolled mine to the side, and I've made a lot of fondant cut outs. I don't think it makes a difference either way, but I wanted to preserve the rollers in case I decide to use the Cricut for scrapbooking one day.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #366 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I rolled mine to the side, and I've made a lot of fondant cut outs. I don't think it makes a difference either way, but I wanted to preserve the rollers in case I decide to use the Cricut for scrapbooking one day.

That was my thinking too so I didn't want to cut them off. Glad to know it works with them pushed to the side.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #367 of 596

i have read where some people move them to the side.. linda says on her dvd.. it does not bother you from scrapbooking if you do cut them off. so i guess it really doesnt, matter...

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #368 of 596

So has anyone moved the rollers over and then cut on paper? I just started doing cakes and do alot of scrapbooking, and don't want to hurt my best friend the cricut for cakes??? Thanks

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #369 of 596

I didnt remove the rollers, I just moved them to the side. its a brand new machine and I dont wanna mess it up.

I have inkscape but I never use it, for pictures I use the little green trace button and scal converts to to an svg for me.

Ive made 3 cakes using the cricut and I love it !

andpotts Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:21am
post #370 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

I didnt remove the rollers, I just moved them to the side. its a brand new machine and I dont wanna mess it up.

I have inkscape but I never use it, for pictures I use the little green trace button and scal converts to to an svg for me.

Ive made 3 cakes using the cricut and I love it !

Awesome Kayla! Hey, don't know if you've gotten the update, but there have been 2 updates to SCAL (now up to 2.07) I think, they are free to update on the crafters edge site and SCAL just keeps getting better and better. The trace feature is great , what you needed Inkscape for was taking say a picture or detailed image and making it an svg or welding or a whole slew of other stuff. With the new SCAL you can do all of that and you can directly import Fonts with out having to download them!! Anyhow it is great! Also I have discover some INCREDIBLE SVG download sites over the last few weeks and I can send them to you if you like, my head has been swimming with the multitude of designs and talent out there!

edited: to change some of my amesomes, lol, I do have a vocabulary that extends past the 80's icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:35am
post #371 of 596

I know what you mean, I'e been d/l svgs and my computer is getting filled lol, so many cool images.
I just got 2.007 update 2day, I love the new autofill feature and the outline and fillin feature.

I personaly perfer scal to the cartridges. I was tring to cut a skyline and I couldnt get the cricut to cut where I wanted.

I love that where you place the image in scal thats where it will cut on your mat.

I dont know about anyone esle, but Ive been using a mix of satin ice and tylose, I roll it out on my pasta machine and I dont even let it dry on the mat, I cut it right away and I get a nice clean cut.

charliejo Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #372 of 596

do you clean the mat, or just put it on like you would paper, the mat has sticky stuff on it?

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #373 of 596

YES!! It works! I was lucky to get a Cricut Expressions for Christmas - didn't even ask for it icon_biggrin.gif !! Finally got the blue cutting housing so I could play around with it.

I just moved the rollers to the left, still works great.

Thanks to all of the great advice on the previous 25+ pages. I practiced the night before with Wilton gumpaste. Really didn't like the results. Wanted to use the cricut for designs on my DD birthday cake for today. So last night I used fondant with tylose added. Worked great. Rolled out let set 10 min. Cut great.

I cut out the letters and design around the side of the cake. Used Storybook cart.

Only thing didn't like the results of trying to attach to the cake. The cake is iced with a crusting buttercream. The design was 2" tall by about 7" long. It was really hard to attach to the side of the cake. Does anyone know of easy way to attach without it moving and tearing?? Design ended up lower on the cake than wanted - plus putting black on white not a great idea for first time-pretty much had to put it wherever it touched since it would leave a mark on the white.
LL
LL

cakesbybert Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #374 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejo

do you clean the mat, or just put it on like you would paper, the mat has sticky stuff on it?

You have to clean off the sticky stuff on the matt. Really easy to do. I just used Dawn and soaked in very hot water. It just rubbed off!

If you have time - really read through this whole post - tons of good info! icon_biggrin.gif

kayla1505 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #375 of 596

I tired doing the wax paper and then gumpaste on top, but that didnt work for me.

so I soaked the mat in hot soapy water and cleaned off the sticky stuff

charliejo Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:46pm
post #376 of 596

Will read through the post, I use my cricut so much for scrapbooking I wouldn't want to hurt it, so you guys are a great help.

andpotts Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:28pm
post #377 of 596

Bert that cake is BEAUTIFUL!!! Seriously that is so well done and pretty and let's not even talk about it being your first Cricut cake, I love it!! thumbs_up.gif Andrea

cakesbybert Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #378 of 596

Thanks Andrea!!! icon_smile.gif

kake4umjp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4umjp Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:51am
post #379 of 596

I have been struggling with this cricut since the day after thanksgiving. I got scal and it is giving me fits. I do a lot of computer work, so didn't think i was that illiterate on the computer, but i guess I am. I am going to try some of the ideas you all have talked about. I got the video before the recipe was removed. Thanks for all the help. I did not remove the rollers. It seems the cuts are very rugged. Do you have to grease the mat everytime you put gumpaste on it?

kake4umjp Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #380 of 596

Golly it is funny to be posted as a newbie... Cute. I feel like one, I have been decorating for over 40 years and demo at ICEs and teach lots of subjects. But old dogs have trouble learning new tricks. So I am a newbie with the cricut... Smiles.

lindaj36523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindaj36523 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #381 of 596

If you don't like Scal try this new software for the cricut...
You don't have to use inkscape or cartriges...it is just getting off of the ground... but is so easy to use ..

For the forum...http://www.make-the-cut.com/forum/

tiggy2 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:06pm
post #382 of 596

I just purchased make-the-cut software but haven't figured out how to use it yet. I need to set down and play with it and check out the youtube videos.

lindaj36523 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #383 of 596

If you go to the forum... they have lots of tutorials and videos for you.
You will love it...you can trace any image that you want and then cut.

PAUPAU04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PAUPAU04 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #384 of 596

I have SCAL 2 and I really enjoy it. I don't want to invest in cartridges. MTC software is very nice to. With either program inkscape is a great addition. I find that my outlines are crisper and I can edit images. Since inkscape is a free program you won't waste any money trying it out. There's a wesite, Scroll saw village that has an excellent series of tutorials on gimp and inkscape. I'm loving this because I can use the same images for paper crafting, cake decoration or woo cutting.

kake4umjp Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:05pm
post #385 of 596

I wrote and they had me download the upgrades. I will try to understand them again. They said you never did need Inkscape. But that is not what they told me when I ask earilier. It is a wait and see If I can do it now. Thanks everyone.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:20pm
post #386 of 596

I got a Cricut Create for Christmas. It was broken right out of the box! It wouldn't turn on. I called the company and they are supposed to be shipping me a replacement. I have to take time to read this entire thread. I'm sure it's going to be a big help.

bbrock85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbrock85 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #387 of 596

Well, I tested out my cricket tonight and with little trial and error! I think it was a great success! I do have a question though, I bought a pasta machine so that I could get an even thin consistency. I am wonder how to properly clean the pasta machine. Any suggestions??? Thank you!

kake4umjp Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #388 of 596

The best way to clean the pasta machine is to take a paper towel coated with crisco or vegetble shortning. turn on the machine and rub the rollers on under side of the rollers. DO NOT TRY THIS ON THE TOP. you will have a mess. Learn from my mistakes. it will grab it and it is stuck. But from the bottom you can rub away as it rolls. I have used one for 15 or 20 years for gum paste. A moterized one works best. or you can get an attachement for your kitchen aid mixer.

lindaj36523 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #389 of 596
zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:00pm
post #390 of 596

does anyone use the KA pasta roller attachment? What are the pros and cons? I'm looking into getting a pasta machine just to roll out GP & fondant and don't know what to get - motorized, non-motorized, KA or other brand. Any input/advice/product endorsement would be greatly appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%