Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:56am
post #91 of 596

I d/l SCAL tonight and had a play about with it, did some cuts on paper just to see how it works. Not totally getting the SCAL stuff tho. I thought from what I was reading I could make my own .svg files of shapes etc to make templates, am I wrong in thinking this.

I have a coach template that I would love to cut out with my cricut, (rather than cutting with an exacto or heat stencil tool) but I cannot for the life of me get it to show up in the preview after importing it from inkscape, saved as .svg file Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or am I confused and misunderstanding what I read? I followed the tutorial from craft edge.

Juliefes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliefes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:46am
post #92 of 596

SCAL is a very simple program to use, and you can do lots of interesting things using SCAL with fonts and basic shapes. You can also import SVG vector files to cut. I highly recommend that you learn to use SCAL alone before trying to make your own designs for importing into SCAL. There is a Yahoo group set up with challenges to help you master SCAL quickly. You can subscribe here: [email protected]
Look in the group's Files section for the challenges.

You can find lots of dingbat fonts that contain images that you can cut using SCAL. There are also lots of people producing excellent cutting files in SVG and SCUT formats that are free or cost very little. You can sign up for a free newsletter to receive a free cutting file each week at www.scrap-savvy.com

Your SVG file must include cutting lines. Those lines must not have any open paths, the lines must not be doubled, and they should not be layered or grouped prior to importing into SCAL. Separate pieces of like color so they are not overlapping. Design pieces cannot be ungrouped once they are imported into SCAL. You can do some minor editing such as changing the size, position, or rotating.

For those who have mastered using SCAL, there are a couple of other VERY busy Yahoo groups that cover using Inkscape to create SVG files for use with SCAL. See   [email protected]

I don't like to use Inkscape, so I use other programs for creating my SVG files, so I use Funtime and convert to SVG and import into SCAL.

Julie

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #93 of 596

Wow Julie....you sound like a program whiz..Thanks for the info!!

rdn_news Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdn_news Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #94 of 596

Michael's has there Cricut on sale for 99.99 sale began Sun July 12-sat. July 18
it's a goog price any way I can send you a copy of the the ad if you like. just request with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Roger

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #95 of 596

Thanks Julie, will be sure to check out those links.

rdn_news Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdn_news Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #96 of 596

<< Back
CRICUT® PERSONAL ELECTRONIC CUTTER

View Larger Image $99.99
each
(Reg. $199.99)
HOT PRICE!
thru Jul 18 » Add to Shopping List

While supplies last!
This is the info for the ad but I don't know how to send a link with this program. you can look online at www.michaels.com go to weekly ad then you should beable find it

jmlawren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmlawren Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #97 of 596

Oooh I love toys, But which one to get? I definitely like the price of the personal (Micheal's for 99 this week). It's my understanding that the Cricut personal doesn't cut smaller than 1" letters. Is there any way to trick it into going smaller with SCAL (which I also plan on buying) or do I have to get a fancier model to go any smaller?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #98 of 596

I went to Michael's yesterday and they had two of the Personals ... I just couldn't resist. Of course it is still sitting in my office chair and I will read all of the threads ... several times ... before I actually give it a try, but I'm excited. icon_biggrin.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:02am
post #99 of 596

Ptanyer thanks for the pictures! Which cartridge did you use to get the design and the phrase?

Thanks for the tips. Waiting patiently (NOT !!!) for my Expression to get here!

Juliefes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #100 of 596

I found some FoodWriter Edible color Markers today at Joann, and used the Michael's 40% off coupon on them. My Gazelle can draw on the gum paste with these as it can use any size pen up to 9/16" in diameter, including Cricut pens. Unfortunately these pens would be too tall to use in the Cricut unless you remove the keypad as I saw one do-it-yourselfer on You Tube do. Drawing on the Gum Paste with these pens will expand on the variety of cake decorating designs that I can make with my cutter.

Julie

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #101 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Ptanyer thanks for the pictures! Which cartridge did you use to get the design and the phrase?

Thanks for the tips. Waiting patiently (NOT !!!) for my Expression to get here!

I used the StoryBook cartridge.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #102 of 596

Okay I want one baad. Which is the better cricut to get for this?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #103 of 596

I was in Michael's on Sunday, they had a Cricut machine on sale for $99. Was that one of the models that can be used for this?

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #104 of 596

Should the gumpaste be real dry or does it matter? I did try a small piece of gumpaste but I didn't have great results but it did work well enough for me to know I can make it work better. I did find out that on my pasta machine a low # is best to use like a 1 or 2 The 9 is the thick setting on mine, not the thin setting like others. I did have trouble with the gum paste moving too much even after using shortening. I wonder if my gumpaste was too dry?

ATCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #105 of 596

Okay I want one baad. Which is the better cricut to get for this?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #106 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

I was in Michael's on Sunday, they had a Cricut machine on sale for $99. Was that one of the models that can be used for this?

That is the one I got, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I know that the bigger/better models will do more, but I don't know how much I will use it so the price was the deciding factor. The ad does say "while supplies last" and my store only had two, so you might want to go ahead while there are some in stock.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #107 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

That is the one I got, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I know that the bigger/better models will do more, but I don't know how much I will use it so the price was the deciding factor. The ad does say "while supplies last" and my store only had two, so you might want to go ahead while there are some in stock.

Ok thanks, I'll check into it.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #108 of 596

LECRN - I bought the DVD and I'm glad I did. In her DVD she shows how to make the Cricut ink pens work with Americolor Airbrush inks so we can get the details and cut as well. She walks you though using the machine and gives other tips she has learned along with a gumpaste recipe to work easily in the machine.

I'm just waiting to give it all a try!

Juliefes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #109 of 596

Check out the free cutting files posted at
http://fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobbysida/en_craft_robo_frames_and_borders_2.html

I think many of these would be lovely on cakes. These files will work on Cricut, Gazelle, Pazzles, Silhouette, KNK, Wishblade, Craft Robo, and other cutters, and save LOTS of hand cutting time.

Julie

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:39pm
post #110 of 596

Great link thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Maranda_V Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maranda_V Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #111 of 596

I don't mind buying the dvd, but I would like to know one thing first. If you use the cricut for gumpaste, can you switch out the blade and mat and still use it for paper, etc?
Thanks for any answers.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #112 of 596

Julie
I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting a cutter after seeing that link and imagining what we could do with cakes! Never had a desire to do scrapbooking....little did I know what was possible with these machines before members started posting ideas and questions! I've narrowed my 'search' to the SILHOUETTE SD mainly because you do not need cartridges! And of course the SD memory card capability so you can use it with out being connected to the computer!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #113 of 596

Just ordered my Silhouette SD on ebay.............I can't wait! My head is spinning with ideas!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:43am
post #114 of 596

Miranda_V - she said in the DVD that she had no problems cutting paper after she modified the Cricut for sugar paste thumbs_up.gif

ATCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #115 of 596

I just got my mailer from JoAnns for the next sale and guess what!!
The Cricut Expression will be on sale for $249.00. I have tried to win one on Ebay, but I keep getting outbid. Some went for more than $249 and some went for less. I wish I could just sit and Ebay all day--I might win one that way.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #116 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCakes

I just got my mailer from JoAnns for the next sale and guess what!!
The Cricut Expression will be on sale for $249.00.

When is this sale going to be?

ATCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #117 of 596

It will be July 19th thru August 1. The price will be 249.99 and there is also going to be 25% off all Cricut accessories.

ATCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #118 of 596

It will be July 19th thru August 1. The price will be 249.99 and there is also going to be 25% off all Cricut accessories. thumbs_up.gif

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #119 of 596

What do you do about the "roller imprint" when using the Cricut to cut gumpaste letters and shapes? Can you move the rollers out of your cutting area?

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #120 of 596

I finally got around to practicing on my cricut and this is what I got....I am now so excited!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%