Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #571 of 596

No it is not.

adflorea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adflorea Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #572 of 596

Thanks Tiggy2! I actually went ahead and ordered the cricut expression. Yippee! Then I discovered this blog: http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php

Curses. I thought that I had found all that there was to know. Now, I'm wondering if I should resell the expression once it arrives (I bought it fro $175 off of ebay) or if I should give it a chance. According to Jennifer Atwoods blog the Cricut Cake is miles better that the Expression. I don't want to waste the money to get the deep cut blade and housing and the hate it. Curses.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #573 of 596

adflora - I can relate! I bought the Expression and then read the same blog. I ordered my Cricut Cake and will either keep the Expression for my kids or sell it. Not sure yet. Hopefully the Cake will do all it is supposed to!

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #574 of 596

where did you find one that will be shipped before May 1st?
I looked everywhere and all of them were to pre order and should arrive by May 7th I think I might go crazy by then

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:35pm
post #575 of 596

I ordered mine from Home Shopping Network. I got an email that the cartridge and one other thing I ordered is shipping now but I think the actual machine will be here on the 7th. Patience. HA! I guess than means I have time to clear my calendar for a full play day on the 7th! LOL

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #576 of 596

My HSN status says "shipped" on 4/15. details show that shipping request was received by UPS. No change since then! ETA still says 4/26. Twiddling thumbs.....

I did check the return policy just in case, and it says 30 days from date RECEIVED, not shipped, so that's good! Hope I don't have to worry about that anyway!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:03pm
post #577 of 596

I ordered my Cricut Cake from HSN at midnight on the 14th and recieved it on friday. I am soooo in love. I have a carousel cake due on Saturday and I just used it to cut out the horses. No way I could have cut those horses out by hand in 5 minutes. I did a search online and used the SCAL program to cut it out with my cricut cake. Best purchase I have made for cakes. Cuts my time in half!!!

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:05am
post #578 of 596

Couture
You make me so jealous I have ordered mine from the HSN but it says it want arrive until the 7th
Had you used the reg cricut before for cakes?

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:09am
post #579 of 596

No. I have never had a cricut before. The cricut cake is my first. I totally love it. I was having a problem at first because it was ripping my fondant so I watched the dvd ( i recommend it) and figured out that i was not adhering the fondant correctly. after that it was smooth sailing. you have to learn how to determine what speed size and pressure to use. It could be a little discouraging if you dont learn to do this. But once you do

ITS AWESOME!!!!

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #580 of 596

the one on hsn comes with a dvd is this the one or the one Linda has?
Did you have to add tylose to your fondant?

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #581 of 596

Yes, the dvd that comes with the machine.

I really dont want to use gumpaste on my cakes so i use fondant with tylose added.

works like a charm

heres a few tips
add tylose to gumpaste.
roll very thin
add shortening to mat, apply fondant, then roll over fondant with roller while on mat ( makes it adhere better)

for intricate designs or small designs use medium pressure and low speed.
things cut at 3" or bigger are easier to cut, small things should be cut slowly.

Hope those tips help!

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #582 of 596

thanks I can't wait was so bummed when it said it wouldn't ship until the 7th maybe it will come early I can hope heehee

the tips are great thanks again.
How much tylose did you add to your fondant?

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #583 of 596

I really never measure. i just pour some on and kneed it in. Well hsn said that I would not recieve it until the 24th.

I ordered on the 14th.
shipped on 15th
recieved on 16th.

it was so quick it was scary!

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #584 of 596

great there is hope
I can't wait I had been looking into it when they annouced the cake one was coming so I waited and now I am still waiting.
Hope it comes early this is like a kid waiting for christmas.

tiggy2 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #585 of 596

I doubt if the DVD that comes with the cricut is the one by Linda McClure.

enchantedmoments Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #586 of 596

I dont think it is was just wanting to know which one she watched

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #587 of 596

no the dvd that comes with the machine is not Lindas dvd

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:18pm
post #588 of 596

Prrobably a dumb question....but, what is SCAL? Where do you get it? How does it benefit the Cricut Cake? Thanks!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #589 of 596

Here is instructions on how to use the normal Cricut with fondant

1. First you need gumpaste. Fondant is too soft and doesn't dry fast enough. If you can't find gumpaste, mix about 1 tbs of gum-tex per lb of fondant.

2. Roll out gumpaste into a thin 'sheet' using pasta machine. You need to get the gumpaste as thin as you can get it without being able to see through it when you hold it up.

3. Let gumpaste dry slightly - just dry enough to hold it's shape but not so dry that it cracks or isn't at all pliable. This is the most important thing about all of this - too wet and it makes it bunch up too dry and it pushes it ....

4. Prepare mat - remove glue form cricut mat OR use the backside of it! OR get a regular plastic chopping mat found a the Dollar store and if necessary cut it down to fit your machine. Lightly 'grease' with Crisco/shortening - this will act as the 'glue' to hold the gumpaste while being cut.

5. If making a small cut, position gumpaste or image 'between' the machines rollers (so that they don't leave a mark on your image). If making a large cut you need to move the middle rollers to the sides.

6. Use any cartridge you have for your cricut to cut out gumpaste images or use any SVG file you have via SCAL or MTC software.

Machine Used: Cricut Expression
Blade: the regular blade (not the deep cut one)
Pressure Setting: settings vary depending on how dense/stiff the gumpaste has gotten - mine is usually set to 4 but I've also used 5. What I do is make a test strip of gumpaste and then play with the pressure setting until it works/I get the result I want.
Speed: is always set to medium (by default) - I just leave it there.

If you search Google and YouTube you will find various methods for cutting gumpaste and for cutting a cool prodcut called SugarVeil. Plus a lady who is selling a video she put together. I've never seen it so can't comment on it's content. And Provo Craft (the company that makes the Cricut) has now built and is selling a version of the machine just for cake decorating. I'm sure others will follow

tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #590 of 596

You can cut some brands of fondant, wilton seems to work the best. You can also cut frosting sheets and modeling chocolate.

metweety6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metweety6 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #591 of 596

Ahh no fair .. Couture
hahaha
well I have to make my horses by hand.. no cash for this machine yet.. soon hopefully.
maybe by christmas i will have it.. if not then i guess it just wasn't meant to be..
enjoy!!!

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:43pm
post #592 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

Here is instructions on how to use the normal with fondant

1. First you need gumpaste. Fondant is too soft and doesn't dry fast enough. If you can't find gumpaste, mix about 1 tbs of gum-tex per lb of fondant.

2. Roll out gumpaste into a thin 'sheet' using pasta machine. You need to get the gumpaste as thin as you can get it without being able to see through it when you hold it up.

3. Let gumpaste dry slightly - just dry enough to hold it's shape but not so dry that it cracks or isn't at all pliable. This is the most important thing about all of this - too wet and it makes it bunch up too dry and it pushes it ....

4. Prepare mat - remove glue form mat OR use the backside of it! OR get a regular plastic chopping mat found a the Dollar store and if necessary cut it down to fit your machine. Lightly 'grease' with Crisco/shortening - this will act as the 'glue' to hold the gumpaste while being cut.

5. If making a small cut, position gumpaste or image 'between' the machines rollers (so that they don't leave a mark on your image). If making a large cut you need to move the middle rollers to the sides.

6. Use any cartridge you have for your to cut out gumpaste images or use any SVG file you have via SCAL or MTC software.

Machine Used: Expression
Blade: the regular blade (not the deep cut one)
Pressure Setting: settings vary depending on how dense/stiff the gumpaste has gotten - mine is usually set to 4 but I've also used 5. What I do is make a test strip of gumpaste and then play with the pressure setting until it works/I get the result I want.
Speed: is always set to medium (by default) - I just leave it there.

If you search Google and YouTube you will find various methods for cutting gumpaste and for cutting a cool prodcut called SugarVeil. Plus a lady who is selling a video she put together. I've never seen it so can't comment on it's content. And Provo Craft (the company that makes the ) has now built and is selling a version of the machine just for cake decorating. I'm sure others will follow

I thought this looked familiar - and then I realized it was quoted from my blog icon_wink.gif I had tried various things mentioned here on CC and other threads/sites and had a difficult time making it work so played and played and then it worked! This was a compilation of what others have shared all brought together with few points of clarification and things that worked for me added in!

As I stated in a recent post on my blog (http://cloesspace.blogspot.com/) , IMHO it all comes down to the medium used (the fondant and gumpaste).... it varies so much that you need to play with it to make it work - once you know what 'pliability' to aim for you are set and can repeat it!!

Thanks again to all those that post their experiences and share!!

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:35am
post #593 of 596

Here is some interesting info about this thread. It was started by Justin McClure, the son of Linda McClure. He was home for summer break from college and decided to put the word out about his mom's new cake decorating technique. He chose the name Grandmacupcake because Linda's grandchildren calle her that. He found this cake forun,put out some information about the techinque, told folks about her intstructional DVD and then answered questions as people became intgerested. He was kicked off cake central, probably because the powers that be thought he was advertising the web site to buy the DVD. It has been a year since Provo Craft basically pirated her patent pending idea, and now even Michaels can't sell the machine. I met Justin and he is a very nice young man. Even though he was kicked off cake central I am glad he was able to get the word out.

cloetzu Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:16pm
post #594 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

Here is some interesting info about this thread. It was started by Justin McClure, the son of Linda McClure. He was home for summer break from college and decided to put the word out about his mom's new cake decorating technique. He chose the name Grandmacupcake because Linda's grandchildren calle her that. He found this cake forun,put out some information about the techinque, told folks about her intstructional DVD and then answered questions as people became intgerested. He was kicked off cake central, probably because the powers that be thought he was advertising the web site to buy the DVD. It has been a year since Provo Craft basically pirated her patent pending idea, and now even Michaels can't sell the machine. I met Justin and he is a very nice young man. Even though he was kicked off cake central I am glad he was able to get the word out.

and after the 'pirateting' as you refer to it, Linda proceeds to go to CHA and works WITH Provo at THEIR booth and demos the process.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:45pm
post #595 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

Quote:

and after the 'pirateting' as you refer to it, Linda proceeds to go to CHA and works WITH Provo at THEIR booth and demos the process.

What you don't know, and it is in her story on her blog, she left after 3 days. She says she knew she was (insert bad word here) and left the CHA show. She was hopeful that Provo Craft would do the right thing and honor a contract. The company proved to be untrustworthy. You may know that she is working with a new machine that is actually better than the Cricut.

cloetzu Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm
post #596 of 596
Quote:

What you don't know, and it is in her story on her blog, she left after 3 days. She says she knew she was (insert bad word here) and left the CHA show. She was hopeful that Provo Craft would do the right thing and honor a contract. The company proved to be untrustworthy. You may know that she is working with a new machine that is actually better than the .

I'm glad to hear that she realized that she had gotten herself into a bad situation and that she is coming out with something new. There is lot of room for improvement wtih current systems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%