Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #421 of 596

That's gorgeous!

kake4umjp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4umjp Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:37pm
post #422 of 596

Yes, it was the blue housing and blade. I used pressure 3, speed 2 and blade the sit on 6. I cut out all the pieces and put then in a 2 gallon zip lock bag on a greased 1/4 sheet board and let them sit while I covered the cake. Than I put them on. I had to cut a few more which I put directly on. I have a dental scaler, the dentist tool that has a crocked point on each end to remove the small cut outs. That was wonderful and so much easier than a pin. I got it as a favor at one of our cake meetings. I did not ever use it and I threw it in my drawer. I was struggling with that darn hat pin when I thought of it. They are disposible, Ask your dentist about the one he uses on you icon_smile.gif. By greasing the tops of the fondant it stopped the fondant from sticking to the blade and the cut was clean and perfect on the top side.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #423 of 596

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tapedshut.gif
ok, I am done trying to play Cricut today. The thing has turned my mood quite vile icon_mad.gif

After reading ALL the posts on this and trying several variations of settings and mediums I am throwing in the towel. For today only though.

My edges on the designs are very rough and dry even after coating with Crisco. At the end of it the blade started bunching up the fondant mix.

I am going now to look at some of the pics proving this can be done all the while trying to breathe calmly. icon_cry.gif

I will NOT be beaten by fondant! icon_biggrin.gif

kake4umjp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4umjp Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #424 of 596

Don't feel bad, My friend said I went after it like a dog going after a bone. I love a challenge, However I almost let it get me down. It took me From The week after Thanksgiving (I got my cricut for $168. on Black Friday at Wal-mart). As of week before last I mastered it. I did the cake above all in one day. Of course what you don't know is I wadded the fondant up for days before and rerolled it many many times. Besure and knead lots of crisco into the fondant. You may have to let it dry a little before before you lift it. Remember use your pasta maker or fondant sheeter if you have one. (I am a lucky person I have the big sheeter and I roll it to #1.) so the fondant is all rolled very even. You may think it will be too thin, But it won't be. Try again. It is very satisfying when you can do it. and very annoying when everyone acts like it is a breeze.. NOw I just want to master Inkscape and Sure Cuts a Lot so I can make my own patterns. This was harder for me than blown sugar, lambeth and any of the other things that some say are difficult .Good Luck...

chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #425 of 596

I'm prepared to wad a lot and whine a lot!
Wad-Whine-grumble-repeat
lol

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #426 of 596

It took me 3 solid days. Trust me, you'll get there. And if you have any hair left when you finally master it, well...the feeling of "winning" is overwhelming, and you'll start to have so much fun with it!!!

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:35am
post #427 of 596

kake4umjp - putting crisco on the top is a great idea - thanks! your cake is gorgeous!

i put my cricut away after the holidays and am going to get back into it.

it does take great persistence and progress is slow.

i'm a huge fan of inkscape. it has a learning curve but is worth the effort.

here are some sites that i've found to be helpful- use the http and remove spaces

http://

papasuecreative .blogspot. com/search/label /How%20To
scrappydew . com /
scrappingtable . com / home.html

jeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeric Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #428 of 596

The new Cricut Cake is being released very soon...

http://www.cricut.com/default.aspx

go to the above link and click on veiw demonstration below on the left side.

This machine works with all the cartridges from the other machines. If you are thinking about purchasing a machine just for cakes.. this might be the one.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #429 of 596

I just saw the new cricut for cakes pretty neat!

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:50am
post #430 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

ok, I am done trying to play Cricut today. The thing has turned my mood quite vile icon_mad.gif

After reading ALL the posts on this and trying several variations of settings and mediums I am throwing in the towel. For today only though.

My edges on the designs are very rough and dry even after coating with Crisco. At the end of it the blade started bunching up the fondant mix.

I am going now to look at some of the pics proving this can be done all the while trying to breathe calmly. icon_cry.gif

Don't give up. I've found (through trial and LOTS of error) that I would get ragged edges when my fondant was too thick for the Cricut. I would keep rolling to what I thought was thin, but thin for me is different than Cricut-thin.

Try starting with white fondant, and if you have a Wilton Cake Dividing wheel, roll until you can see the lines fairly clearly (not transparent though). Let dry and have at it! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:21am
post #431 of 596

Good morning all! First off thank you for the helpful tips and sharing your experiences with me.

I was wide awake at 4:30 am thinking about CRICUT~ ACK!!! icon_eek.gif
When will the madness end? icon_lol.gif

The coffee is on and I am about to start a load of laundry. Then I should have about 45 minutes to play with Cricut again before the house is awake.

In reply to a post earlier, I do have the KA pasta attachment and have been using that. I wish I had something wider....ahhhh, what wouldn't I give for a sheeter!!!! (In my dreams)
So for now I think I will use the KA and maybe roll it more while on the mat.

Have a great day everyone!

PamelaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamelaR Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm
post #432 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbybert

YES!! It works! I was lucky to get a Cricut Expressions for Christmas - didn't even ask for it icon_biggrin.gif !! Finally got the blue cutting housing so I could play around with it.

I just moved the rollers to the left, still works great.

Thanks to all of the great advice on the previous 25+ pages. I practiced the night before with Wilton gumpaste. Really didn't like the results. Wanted to use the cricut for designs on my DD birthday cake for today. So last night I used fondant with tylose added. Worked great. Rolled out let set 10 min. Cut great.

I cut out the letters and design around the side of the cake. Used Storybook cart.

Only thing didn't like the results of trying to attach to the cake. The cake is iced with a crusting buttercream. The design was 2" tall by about 7" long. It was really hard to attach to the side of the cake. Does anyone know of easy way to attach without it moving and tearing?? Design ended up lower on the cake than wanted - plus putting black on white not a great idea for first time-pretty much had to put it wherever it touched since it would leave a mark on the white.

This was a problem for me as well when I first started playing around. I use craft foam sheets you can get at walmart. They are flexable and put a dab of shortning on the foam to hold the design in place while working & I put it right on top of the design before I take it off the mat then I flip the mat and foam sandwitch over and the design is easly transfered onto the foam oh and I measure where I want the design to go in relation to the bottom edge of the foam and line it up with the bottom edge of the cake and slowly press up on to the side of the cake right in the exact place you want. It did take me a few times of trying to get the hang of placment but even the first time i used the foam it was much easer then with out it and with no broken designes. I hope this helps...Pam

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #433 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Hey just wanted to say, woo hoo, I knew it, Sure Cuts Alot has just come out with upgrade 2.006 and you no longer need Inkscape and it will now do all the stuff Make the Cut does, competition in the marketplace does good things!!

Is this a free upgrade to those that have already purchased the old version?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #434 of 596

I bought SCAL 2.006 back in December. The latest version now is 2.008. Their website says that if you have any version of SCAL 2, you can download the newest update for free & it will replace the one already on your system. Don't think that works if you only have SCAL 1 though. Here's a quote from their site:
"If you are using an older version 2 of "Sure Cuts A Lot", you can download the latest version below for free and install over the current installation."
When I get home tonight, I'm downloading the newest updates.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #435 of 596

OMG!!! that cake is SOOOO beautiful!!!!

I have been at this darned thing off and on for the last 3 days, and I can't get my edges clean. But I'm using Wilton fondant, as I don't have any Tylose. So for now I'm going to put icing sheets through, and I'm having LOTS of success with that!!!!

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #436 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

You need to talk to Linda McClure about the problems you are having. She will be able to help you get a great cut with the gum paste. She helped me and now I have great success every time.

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #437 of 596

Have you all seen this
www.cricutcake.com it is specifically made for cake decorating. When will the madness end? icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:09am
post #438 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

Have you all seen this
www.cricutcake.com it is specifically made for cake decorating. When will the madness end? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the link.

chilz822 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:33am
post #439 of 596

So, while I'm waiting for my Cricut to arrive, I've amassed a huge collection of svg files to use with SCAL. I woke up the other morning and a lightbulb went off and I'm wondering if any of you have tried this (if so and I missed the post, I apologize!)...

I started d/ling pics of the outlines of all the expensive flower cutters. I'm thinking if I convert then to svg, I can let the cricut do the cutting and I don't have to spend a ton on petal cutters!

What do you think? Here's an example of what I found (prior to converting to svg)...
LL

mommyle Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #440 of 596

OMG!!!! You are a GENIUS!!!!!!!

chilz822 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #441 of 596

I've done lots of searches for the cutter outlines, there are LOTS out there and if it works, think of all the savings!

Maybe someone who has the cricut mastered can try it out while I'm waiting for mine to arrive!
Now, if it would only cut sugar cookie dough we'd have it made in the shade!

mommyle Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:24am
post #442 of 596

Mmmmmmm.... Sugar Cookie Dough.... Mmmmmmmmm......

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #443 of 596

Ok. I just read all 30 pages of this thread. I must get my cricut out and try this. You guys are so wonderful in explaining everything. I was going to order Linda's DVD, but after reading this, I'm not sure I need it. For those of you that have it, is it worth getting it even after all of your very informative and educational posts?

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #444 of 596

chilz822 your reading my mind , I did the same thing last weekend.

I wanted to make a huge rose but i didnt have the right size rose petal cutter.

so I found a rose petal image online, I used paint to fill the image inside and than I cut with my cricut.

I'll post the picture today

chilz822 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:40pm
post #445 of 596

Great minds must truly think alike! I've downloaded a huge amount of petal cutter outlines, just waiting... waiting...
My Cricut will be here on Wednesday and I'll be off work on Thursday... hmmm... wonder what I'll be doing?!?

My son is excited also because we saw video's on making stencils and using them to paint graphic tshirts... oboy

kayla1505 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:30pm
post #446 of 596

with the freezer paper right ?

chilz822 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #447 of 596

yeah, we bought a huge roll today that's just sitting all lonely with all my cricut accessories I bought!

icon_wink.gif
I'm thinking all the paintbrushes and stamps in Photoshop would make great tshirt graphics

kayla1505 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #448 of 596

i have bought freezer papper but i havent used it yet, i dont have any plain tshirts to experiment on

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #449 of 596

I dont have time to read all these posts, so sorry if this is a repeat. but you can use sugarveil sheets in your circuits now too!

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #450 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIEQZ

Ok. I just read all 30 pages of this thread. I must get my cricut out and try this. You guys are so wonderful in explaining everything. I was going to order Linda's DVD, but after reading this, I'm not sure I need it. For those of you that have it, is it worth getting it even after all of your very informative and educational posts?

All of her DVD's are very informative. It is worth the investment, especially to be able to see exactly what she is doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%