Sugarshack Video

Decorating By CookieD-oh Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 3:21am by JanH

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 34

I have issues with smoothing buttercream. There. I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest.
So after reading all the posts on CC about how good the videos are, I went to Sugarshack's website to bookmark it (as a subtle hint to DH to get me the buttercream dvd for my birthday). While I'm there I go ahead and watch the 3-minute preview of the dvd, just to see what it's all about.
Today I made a 4th of July cake. Oh my goodness, just watching the demo made so much difference in my buttercream!!!! I can't wait to see the whole dvd! I mean, I know it's not perfect, but it's sooooo much better.
Anyway, sorry for rambling, I was just so excited that I had to share icon_biggrin.gif
LL

33 replies
steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 34

That looks great! I love the color. I'm trying the recipe this week. Did you follow the recipe exactly?

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 34

I just received my box's and bow dvd and topsy turvy dvd from sugarshack and i cant wait to get home to watch them!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 34

WOW!!!! You are well on your way!!! You'll love the video and be amazed...there are at least one million icon_wink.gif excellent tips on it that you'll use forever!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 34

Her videos have changed my life! seriously! I used to HATE buttercream and would totally cringe if anyone asked for it - now I would rather do buttercream than Fondant!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 34

That looks like perfection to me! I think you are too hard on yourselficon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 34

Are you using her buttercream recipe as well? I like adding butter to my buttercream so unfortunately it doesn't crust so therefore is harder to smooth. I think I'll get her DVDs anyway.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 34

Wow, that looks perfect to me! Is that crusting BC or creamy?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 34

This is actually indydebi's buttercream, so it's a crusting buttercream. I'm hoping that once I get the dvd I'll be able to do those beautiful sharp edges that she does.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 34

I just ordered her fondant and buttrercream dvd's a couple of days ago. I can't wait to get them!!!

miny Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 34

Do you know if the DVD shows how to get creamy BC smooth? The only BC I use is SMBC, it's delicious!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Do you know if the DVD shows how to get creamy BC smooth? The only BC I use is SMBC, it's delicious!

I don't know if the video includes it, but you can use similar methods on SMBC if you pop your cake in the fridge for fifteen minutes after you frost.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 34

I'm saving up for all her dvd's! I live kinda close to her, so I'm tempted to just go kidnap her and make her teach me in person! LOL

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:13pm
post #14 of 34

received my DVD last week, make her BC last night and used it today. OMG - it's beautiful, it felt like I was putting silk on my cake. I can't wait to make another cake and to find the time to watch the entire video beginning to end rather than in bits and pieces.

Sharon ROCKS!!

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 34

Your cake looks perfectly smooth, great job! I think you just sold me on buying the DVD icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 34

Thanks Varika, I'm going to try that, tho it makes me so sad! icon_cry.gif I've used crisco based frosting for almost 5 years, got so sick of it so bad that I changed to whipped topping (PP) but I couldn't get fondant decorations on the cakes so I finally decided to give SMBC a try and I absolutely felt in love with it icon_biggrin.gif and swore crisco and hi-ratio out of my life!!! But SMBC is sooooo hard to get smooth icon_sad.gif that I'll try any method anyone suggest! That's why I wanted to know, if she has the secret I'll buy the DVD in a heart beat. I guess It's just a matter of practice, practice, practice! icon_sad.gif

PinkLisa Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 34

Miny -- I also don't like shortening only based buttercreams. They give all the members of my family a stomach ache (so I'm afraid it will give my prospective clients stomach aches also). I LOVE SMBC also and use that or butter-based buttercream. But I also need practice to get it really smooth.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #18 of 34

As far as I know Her recipe works with any crusting buttercream Proud to say I have all of Her DVD's and have learned a lot, not bragging only letting you know how good her DVD's and if u can afford them u should get them.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Thanks Varika, I'm going to try that, tho it makes me so sad! icon_cry.gif I've used crisco based frosting for almost 5 years, got so sick of it so bad that I changed to whipped topping (PP) but I couldn't get fondant decorations on the cakes so I finally decided to give SMBC a try and I absolutely felt in love with it icon_biggrin.gif and swore crisco and hi-ratio out of my life!!! But SMBC is sooooo hard to get smooth icon_sad.gif that I'll try any method anyone suggest! That's why I wanted to know, if she has the secret I'll buy the DVD in a heart beat. I guess It's just a matter of practice, practice, practice! icon_sad.gif

I got chocolate SMBC almost perfectly smooth using refrigeration and the dip-spatula-in-hot-water method. I had a thought after delivering that cake--which was covered in fondant that actually got EATEN, yay!--that a pair of vynil gloves (latex allergy, here) and just the heat of my fingers might let me smooth even more. ....I've also given thought to using my mini-iron; wouldn't that be a sight? icon_lol.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #20 of 34

i am an smbc gal icon_smile.gif
i've tried the paper towel on fridged smbc, but it didn't work for me.
using a hot scraper usually left me with color streaks...however, using a slightly warm scraper worked fabulously!

when i see things that can be done with crusting bc, i am always tempted to go back, but smbc just tastes so good and feels great on the tongue...but still, i am really wanting to do some of those techniques you can only do with crusting icon_cry.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #21 of 34

PinkLisa - I use a 50/50 butter/hi-ratio shortening mix in my buttercream. Otherwise, I follow Sharon (Sugarshack's) recipe. Mine crusts. Not sure why using butter would cause it not to crust? I find it really easy to smooth because it crusts. I use the Melvira method found on the home page of this site, near the bottom of the page.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #22 of 34

Can sombody tell me what is SMBC? I'm new on this and I'm very interested to learn everything. Thanks.

drakegore Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #23 of 34

smbc is Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
it is made from egg whites and sugar (heated over gently boiling water, and can be food safe if heated to 160 degrees), that are then whipped into a stiff meringue before butter and flavoring are added. it is so smooth and silky (and tasty, lol).

drakegore Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #24 of 34

forgot to add that the sugar is granulated not powder.
very smooth buttercream that is never grainy.

miny Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i am an smbc gal icon_smile.gif...but still, i am really wanting to do some of those techniques you can only do with crusting icon_cry.gif

I know, me too! Isn't that depressing? So many things to do and we can't do it icon_cry.gif but I'm sooooo happy with my delish SMBC that only, and I mean ONLY if it's very necessary I'll use the shortening icing, meanwhile I'll keep practicing on getting mine smooth.
Djor Swiss Meringue Buttercream is the most delicious icing you'll ever taste!!! icon_biggrin.gif and it's not that hard to make, I was afraid to try it but when I made it for the first time I asked myself how in heaven did I spend so many years making and eating that crisco thing! icon_surprised.gif

drakegore Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #26 of 34

i know, it kills me...

don't laugh, but i use a hair blow dryer to gently warm my scraper. just the right amount of warmth to smooth the smbc like glass without having to worry about streaks or getting all the water off of the blade.

i am watching sharon's bows and boxes right now and loving it even though i rarely do an entirely fondant covered cake. lots of great stuff in there no matter what you like to do.

diane

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #27 of 34

Drakegore and miny thanks for everything now I'm going to look for that recipe. I want to try that too. But thanks again for your time. thumbs_up.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #28 of 34

Your cake looks great. I know you will love her DVD's. I have two of her DVD's. I have only watched them once. They are very thorough.

miny Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm
post #29 of 34

Djor, the SMBC I make is the one from Dyann Bakes on you tube, she explains it very well, sorry I can't attach it to this post but you can go on youtube and search for it as "1-2-3 Swiss Meringue Buttercream", it's super easy to make and delicious! Check it out to see what you think! I spent a looooong time looking for a good BC I don't want you to waste so much time before trying a good BC. HTH Good luck!

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #30 of 34

Thank you Miny for your info. I will check it out too. I always use crisco bc and have some friends and family who don't like it but want the cakes decorated. That's the only bc I know how to make icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%