Peanut/nut Allergy

Decorating By babykonst Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm by ahuvas

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 7

hi everyone, im doing a cake for this saturday and the little birthday girl's sister has a severe peanut allergy. the mother was very confident in me doing the cake, i have assured here that there are no nuts/peanutsin my kitchen and that i would be making everything from scratch, the cake, icing, and fondant, she just emailed me about the baking pan asking me to use a disposable cake pan, 'just in case' anyhoo, now im paranoid, should i just go and buy a brand new baking pan and keep it separte for such occasions, or will the disposable alunimum be alright, please help me out!!! thanks in advance!!!

baby

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know...I would stay away from that one...Anyone who knowingly orders a cake from a business which is not entirely inspected as Nut-Free is asking for trouble...If her allergy is so bad that you need to bake in another pan.....I would call/email back and apologize but you cannot take such a risk baking her cake without being inspected as a Nut free facility....JMO icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 7

Personally, I won't do any "special dietary" cakes for just this reason. I refuse to worry and fret that I'll be blamed if the allergic person has a reaction to something.

I would quickly call this mother and tell her that having thought about it, it's against my better judgement and perhaps she should find another baker who makes just nut free products.

I know that it's hard for parents of allergic kids, but fact is, the only completely safe food is food that comes from that home made by that mom.

Rae

babykonst Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

thank guys, i took your advise, i let her know that i was uncomforatble doing it, luckily i had a contact that does nut free cakes, and one will be done tomorrow, for her, thanks again for the advise!!!

babykonst Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #5 of 7

thank guys, i took your advise, i let her know that i was uncomforatble doing it, luckily i had a contact that does nut free cakes, and one will be done tomorrow, for her, thanks again for the advise!!!

babykonst Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:14am
post #6 of 7

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 7

does anyone have a clause in thier contract about allergic reactions to cakes that dont specifically contain nuts i.e. due to cross contamination?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%