Why Sell Sheet Cake For $1 Or Less?

Business By notjustcake Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm by Kiddiekakes

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 6

I have been doing lots of reading and wonder why on earth some ppl charge less than a dollar for sheet cakes! Does that even cover the cost? and labor? I know they are less work but really?
I currently charge $1 a serving for mine, but check out my sheet cakes and I feel I should be charging more. They just have a lot more details.

Thanks

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

Why on earth would someone sell fondant covered cake at $1.00 a serving? I dunno. Makes you wonder. If I ever catch someone in my area doing it, I'll give them what for, unless they are hideous, because it hurts everyone in the long run.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 6

I looked at your sheet cakes, they are pretty and certainly not the standard basic sheet cake. What do you charge for them?. I charge $2.50 a slice for mine.
Tracy

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 6

I have no idea why... If I did sheets they'd be a LOT more than $1/serving. I think people tend to think of them as "just sheet cakes". It's the same cake... same icing... same amount of time baking and all that... no way would I undercharge for them. A little less for an unfilled single layer sheet, but not that much.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 6

Well I charge $25 for 13 x 9 or quarter sheet cake whatever ppl call them
for 11 x 15 I charge $45
and 12 x 18 $55

pretty basic sheet cakes I feel this hardly covers my ingredients, labors and overhead.

I charged more for my sheet cakes most of them have either edible images and just because it saves me work I still have to get the image.

Some of my cakes have fondant decorations like the one with the baby on it.

All my sheet cakes are single layer and 2" tall

I don't know how bakeries around here do it charging a dollar!

I don't tort sheet cakes. If I did I would charge more.

If you have any questions on how much I charged for any sheet cake I will tell you the size and price but PM me for that, you would not belive how much I charged and she gladly paid for the Mother Goose book cake.

icon_smile.gif Was I a happy baker

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 6

Well you can't even get a sheetcake here anymore from any of the grocery stores for $1.00 or unde ra serving.The local grocery stores..(and I constantly am checking) are charging $27.99 for a 9x13 single layer slab not torted.You pay extra for the plastic cake kit which is $8.95 and $10.00 or more for a edible image.The NEW designer cakes which are the Decopac kits...3D Barbie Dress,Pirate ship,Spiderman wall,Disney Princess Castle are all $59.99...and they don't look like the display cake either which is sent from head office and decorated by someone other than a store decorater....I charge 2.5 x what the stores do but my cakes are far superior....icing is homemade and so are all the fondant decorations!!There is no way I would charge what the stores do for my time and skill..If I did I may as well say Forget it...and go out and get a out of home regular job.They can charge this low because they get there cake mixes in bulk quantities..or have them frozen and shipped in...use ready made icing....only allow a decorater about 10 minutes per cake to decorate so there is the cheapness of the cake.Up your prices all Cake Decoraters out there!!! You deserve it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%