I Am Begging For Help -- Ganache Questions

Decorating By Rylan Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 3:06am by Teekakes

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 10

I am in need of total help.

I am covering a cake with ganache under fondant. Las Vegas is a very hot/dry place and lately it has been in the 100's. I am going to apply ganache under fondant and I am scared that it might melt at 75 degrees (house temperature. Is it ok to refrigerate after the cake is done? I will be using Satin Ice fondant. I've refrigerated fondant cakes with buttercream icing under without any problems--just not sure about this one. Please help me... help... I've done research and I could not find any topics that has succesful experience with this.

9 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 10

Oh, shoot..... I don't know the answer, but I'll give you a bump !

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 10

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

This is a thread I have been following and I think it will answer your questions. Have you checked it out?

Happy 4th of July icon_biggrin.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 10

I might be missing something but I don't see why the ganache would give you any problems in the fridg.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

This is a thread I have been following and I think it will answer your questions. Have you checked it out?

Happy 4th of July icon_biggrin.gif

and buried way in that thread was this link to a blog entry where they advise on method to help insure not melting problems.

Cakes and More Blog advice on Ganache

Rylan Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 10

Teekakes and Doug, I checked both of those sites last night. I've spent 3 hours reading and researching yesterday and I couldn't find the perfect answer. It says, 66 degrees but my house is 75. With high ceilings, I can't afford to set the temperature under 70 degrees. Also, it says that once refrigerated, let it come to room temperature. Will the chocolate melt?

How about refrigerating the cakes after laying the fondant (with ganache under)?

Mcdonald, I was worrying about condensation.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 10

once set -- like a candy bar. stable at "normal" temps which would include your COOLER THAN MINE house (Grouse grumble -- have to keep mine at 78 or even 80 to afford the electric bill!)

as for refrigerating.

put in a well sealed box FIRST. refrig in that. Then when time to serve/deliver, take out of fridge and LEAVE IN the box until at room temp. This way the condensation is on the box, not the cake.

Teekakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 10

I don't think you are going to have any problems at 75 degrees either. I have put completely decorated fondant cakes in the fridge, and freezer without problems of any kind. I wrapped the cake box in plastic wrap and then in foil. This protects the cake from any kind of odors and/or freezer burning.
Remove foil and plastic wrap and allow cake to come to room temp. While coming to room temp it helps to have a small fan blowing onto the cake. This will dry the fondant at it changes temps. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much! This was my first time and it's doing great.

THANKS AGAIN!

Teekakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 10

Great! Glad it is working well for you! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%