Why?? Change To Cake Design

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 11:20am by Texas_Rose

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:40am
post #1 of 3

Let me first say that I am not a wedding cake maker so the one I have for next weekend will be my first, and last. It is a favor for a good friend of mine and she has done all the baking while I am decorating, I am charging $250 for that part.

So last night I get a call telling me she couldn't get the cake to bake right in the 16 inch square pan (original cake was to be squares 16-12-icon_cool.gif so now has round cakes that are 13-10-6.5 (??) and has two cakes of each size that is 3 inches high.

The original design is based on a cake by cakelady48 as seen here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303470 I have the topper almost ready but now have no clue what to do for the sides. The mother of the bride is the customer and her daughter apparently doesn't care what the cake looks like. Now the mother of the bride is telling me that as long as the topper is what we planned (not exactly what is in the picture) she doesn't care what is on the rest of the cake.

So, any ideas?? I don't think I will need to charge more as I don't have time to make any more gum paste flowers and don't think that the round cakes will need more fondant than the square, although I have to do up those quantities today. I'm out of town from Monday to Thursday, then back to decorate cake.

I don't like stress in the summer, no more wedding cakes for me! I like a cake I can start in finish in one day! lol!

Thanks for being here CC...

Katherine

2 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:52am
post #2 of 3

If you are going to cut them down to normal 4" height you will use a lot less fondant with the rounds, so you wont have a problem with that at least. If ur going to leave it at 6" height you might need some more, Im not sure, never did 6" before. Is the topper u made going to fit on a 6" cake? This would be my main problem.

That is a beautiful cake, the way I would change it is to have the brown band run around ea cake with the white decorations on the same as the picture
Good luck!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:20am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

That is a beautiful cake, the way I would change it is to have the brown band run around ea cake with the white decorations on the same as the picture
Good luck!!!

Exactly what I was thinking icon_biggrin.gif

It's easier to cover rounds than squares anyhow so it may turn out to be a good thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%