I Am Getting So Frustrated...

Decorating By Bonnie1462 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm by __Jamie__

Bonnie1462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie1462 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 6

OK, I'm relatively new at this cake stuff and I really enjoy it. But I get so frustrated icing my cake! At times I think I would pay someone $20 bucks just to ice it. I can get it smooth, after working for what seems like hours on it, but a lot of times, I make the top edges too thin and you can see the cake shadow coming through. Or worse, sometimes you can see cake crumbs. I bought Sharon's video and use her icing, and mine starts out ok, but then I play with it and play with it like I have OCD. What does everyone do...do you put it in the fridge before the Viva smoothing? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

You need to keep your bench scraper away from the cake. Put your cake, already on it's own cardboard round, if that's what you use, on top of another round, that is slightly larger in diameter. Ice your cake against that larger round, and use that larger round, as the guide for your bench scraper. When you are done, pop the whole thing in the fridge, and then take it out after it firms, and pop your cake off of the larger round. There you go, and no border either.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 6

********STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!**********

With just a little practice one should be able to ice a cake in less than 10 minutesicon_smile.gif
That's when everything is perfect......consistency, temp, etc icon_smile.gif
Study the video again and again. And don't keep playing with it.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:41am
post #4 of 6

Today I tried the roller methed to smoothing buttercream. Oh my goodness what an amazing time saver and great results!!! So totally worth the $4 investment! Check out the tutorial by Melvira on the home page!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6

I have used the Melvira method and loved it - then somthing happened to my roller and it wouldn't "roll". I never bought another one but maybe I should. It works amazingly well!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 6

Yep, Melvira method worked great for me when I used a crusting BC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%