Maternity Leave

Lounge By Karema Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm by Shelle_75

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 12

Ok so I'm getting so annoyed with people looking at me like a deer caught in the headlights when I say I'm on maternity leave. Ok grant it I know that I work from home and it's my own business but don't I get a say so of when I'm tired of baking? It is hot and my feet are swollen. I just want to sit under the A/C and put my feet up.

Bending down in that oven kills my back and I feel like people don't understand that when you are already overweight and get pregnant your body takes a beating and it hurts. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and and feel horrible. I even stopped trying to eat so much and ended up having to go to the hospital because of contractions. When the nurses checked my urine she said that I'm not eating enough and I need to eat and drink plenty of water or I will be in labor for real.

I don't want to take any important orders just in case I go into labor early. I have never had my children early but I would hate to take a wedding order and then have to cancel because I am in the hospital. I'm just to nervous. So I say I do small orders like cookies or a small cake but nothing too big. So when I give people that reasoning they look at me all weird and say "I worked up until 40 weeks when I was pregnant so why can't you?" BECAUSE I SAID SO AND NOW NO CAKE FOR YOU!!!

Has anyone had this problem when they were pregnant? How long did you continue to take orders? Did you have central air lol?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:02am
post #2 of 12

This kind of stuff is why women just make my a$$ tired! Women can either band together and be supportive on any level .... and in the same second, women can be the most inconsiderate creatures on god's green earth!

Women are the first to point out that every pregnancy is different, and the first to compare you to THEIR pregnancy and condemn you if you're not breezing thru it just like they did.

With my son (2nd child), I worked up to the last minute and wore 6" heels at 8.5 months pregnant. With my 3rd child, I was chained to a recliner for the last 2.5 months and could only get up to go to the bathroom. (Hated that chair!)

It's all different.

Tell 'em you'd bend over to make it easier for them to kiss your a$$ .... but it's too hard for you to bend over that far! icon_twisted.gif

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 12

Well I wasnt baking when I was pregnant with my daughter ... She is the reasonn I started it but I was working 40+ hours a week and threw myself into pre-mature labor . That was scary she arrived 5.5 weeks early because I wouldnt stop and rest.
Karema You take it easy and do only what you feel like you can do and to heck with the rest!! Hang in there and best wishes on the upcomming event . icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 12

Just tell them that your doc says you can't.

I totally understand what you mean about being heavy and not feeling good. Pregnancy does not agree with my body, and I gained 75# both times I was pg. I had pitting edema, and all sorts of problems, and my whole body hurt from carrying the extra weight around and not being able to sleep b/c I was uncomfortable. I don't know how I could have dealt with preganacy in the summer. Mine were in the winter and I never wore a coat because my fat kept me warm. icon_lol.gif

Hang in there, mama.

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 12

i know just what you mean being heavier i think thats what lead to my back problems (and im talking curled up in a shower puking to death for an hour from the pain) Like this time around im taking it easy. Every woman is different and those who worked to 40 weeks , maybe they had a nice airconditioned sit down office job where their only problem was oh my butt hurts from sitting. Its exausting mixing and all the stand up work that cakes involve , every bit of bending towards the end of your pregnancy is a balancing act due to the fact your have a small human straped to your torso. If you feel the slightest drama or disrespect from someones reaction just let them go its all about you and your baby.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 12

Here in Canada you get 1 full year off from your job from the time you give your notice and recieve your benefits.You get 55% percent of your wage for that full year.A father can also apply to spilt the maternity benifits meaning he can be off for 6 months and then you or what ever you decide..As long as it ends up being a total of 12 months.You can take it anytime when you are pregnant...if you need to be off earlier or work right up until the 9th month.They cannot legally terminate your employment...but they don't have to keep the exact same job position for you but have to have some sort of position available for you when you return.Most jobs are exactly as you left it meaning no change but some companies are jerks and give the position away meaning you have to start all over again at the bottom.Benefits are excellent though....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 12

Didn't you tell us you were on *total bed rest* by your dr??
Just tell people you can't work on drs orders and let it at that!
You need to take care of your baby and yourself.....not only can you hard a new life you can harm your own. Who cares that they look at you weirdly. It's your live and body that needs to be taken care of.........not theirs! icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:26am
post #8 of 12

There's no way I could have been at work the last month I was pregnant, and if I knew how little I'd sleep for six weeks afterwards, I would have been asleep for most of that time!

You do what you need to!

mcaulir Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:27am
post #9 of 12

There's no way I could have been at work the last month I was pregnant, and if I knew how little I'd sleep for six weeks afterwards, I would have been asleep for most of that time!

You do what you need to!

mcaulir Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:27am
post #10 of 12

You do what you need to!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 12

Just say' the bakery' is taking no further orders until _________.

The 'bun in your oven' needs careful watching. icon_biggrin.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 12

Hang in there and stay strong, Mamma!

I didn't do cakes AT ALL with my last pregnancy....the smell of buttercream brought on the (all day) morning sickness. You do what you have to do to bring that baby into the world healthy, with a Mamma who's still healthy!

God bless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%