Sugarpaste? Gumpaste? What's The Difference?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 2:12am by princesscris

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 4

are the names different regionally or is there a difference in ingredients?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

As you mention it depends on where you live. I'm not sure now but I believe sugarpaste, flower paste, and fondant are all basically the same (slight differences). Gumpaste is similar - fondant but has certain gums added so it stretches (allowing one to roll it very, very thin) and hardens much quicker.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 4

Sugarpaste, rolled fondant and plastic icing are the same thing but the names differ regionally. Flower paste and gumpaste are the similar to each other, from the recipes I've seen. You wouldn't cover a cake in gumpaste because it would dry rock hard and not be tasty, but rolled fondant (aka sugarpaste) is used to cover cakes all the time.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 4

What she said!


Quote by @%username% on %date%