The Annoying New Gal! :)

Decorating By candiceleenoble Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm by BARBARAJEAN

candiceleenoble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candiceleenoble Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone.
I am so new that I don't even know where to start. Literally. icon_sad.gif I am from Maine and have been seaching every where for just a simple start up class. I have had no luck at all. Anyone from Maine (or NH/MA) here to advise me on this?
Also, I love baking and I want to get into making wedding cakes.
If anyone has time to give me a few tips on how to get started, I would be grateful. What are the must-haves? Good books? Websites? Etc
I am very eager to hear from you.
Thank you so much!

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

My best advice is to start with sugarshacks DVDs. They are excellent for beginners as she takes you step by step through each process. Her website is www.sugaredproductions.com

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 7

As far as websites this is the best for info. I would start with finding a Michaels shop and signing up for the Wilton classes that wil give you a starting point the also you tube has a lot of good videos also.
Best of luck.

candiceleenoble Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you very much for your advice.
This is a wonderful website with great people! I hope that one day I will be able to give others advice too!
Happy Fourth of July!

candiceleenoble Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you very much for your advice.
This is a wonderful website with great people! I hope that one day I will be able to give others advice too!
Happy Fourth of July!

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 7

Try "cakes made easy . com" with no spaces. For about the cost of two wilton courses you can get these e-books that have embedded video clips. So you can read the instructions on each technique and then watch the video clip as many times as necessary to really see how it is done. This way you get much closer to the action that you can be in a class setting. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 7

Go to u-tube and use key word cake decorating or buttercream decorating if that is what you like, and you can spend hours watching demonstrations. They are really helpful if you have no classes in your area. That is how I learned an awful lot of lessons. I am pretty much self-taught although I had a chance to take a few hours of class at a local high school. They will tell you what tubes you need and that type of things you must have. There are also a lot of books at the library to use. I know when you first start it seems like a lot of money invested but just do a little at a time as you learn. There are also great web sites like this one where you can learn everything you want to learn. Then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE....even if it is just on the back of a cake pan. I love the internet because I live in a real small town in Wisconsin and that is how I get to know a lot of interesting things. The articles on this site provide some very good demo's as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%