Cheesecake At A Bbq??

Decorating By Auryn Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm by Gingoodies

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 14

Hi guys,
need a quick opinion.

So here is the question,
as a party guest, would you guys think its weird to have chocolate cheesecake be the birthday cake at a party?? Mind you the youngest person there will be 26 so its not like theres a bunch of kids.

I am throwing my boyfriend a surprise birthday party next friday.
Its going to be a backyard bbq with the theme being a pirate luau.

The man has asked for a chocolate cheesecake for his birthday instead of cake this year.

Originally the two of us were going to celebrate his birthday this weekend, and next weekend would be the family celebration.
So I was going to make the cheesecake for this weekend and the cake for the party next.
Now he says he doesnt want the cake until next weekend because he has to make weight for us going sky diving next saturday morning.

13 replies
kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 14

Since it will be at your home I see not problem with that. You will be able to keep it cooled. Also you can decorate it with BC or whipped cream ... should be fine

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 14

Since it will be at your home I see not problem with that. You will be able to keep it cooled. Also you can decorate it with BC or whipped cream ... should be fine

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 14

I wouldn't mind as long as it was big enough for me to get a piece (or two)! I love cheesecake (and chocolate) and in fact, have a cheesecake every year for my birthday. I don't think it's weird at all. Just my opinion, but I would love any kind of dessert! Good luck!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 14

Heck, no....... I know of people that request apple pie, or my husband used to request his Mom's lemon desert in lieu of "birthday cake"......it is his birthday..... serve HIS favorite treat...... personally, I would want it for the two of us just so I could have more ! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 14

I vote - Absolutly!! Like everone else has said: Its his special day - and deserves a special treat!! Not everyone wants cake (GASP!)
One of my DD's has a Key Lime Pie on her day .. every year since she was about 10 - she's almost 30 now! This year I BEGGED her to let me make her a cake and she relented .. so I did - then surprized her with a KL Pie the next day icon_smile.gif

Auryn Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 14

thanks guys
I agree on your day you get what you want.
My only trepidation is that I have never made cheesecake before.
So monday I will be making a test run and everyone at work will have to be my guinea pigs.
Now I just gotta figure out how to make cheesecake for 30 ppl and the cheapest place to get callebaut chocolate- yes he is that specific about it aka spoiled.

can you bake 2 cheesecakes at a time in the same oven??

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 14

Have you considered mini cheesecakes in miffin tins? Same cheesecake recipe, shorter time, individual servings, you can make a ton of them and not see the waste going in the garbage. Make a big one to sing and cut, (and have extra for later!) and a lot of little ones that people can pick up and eat.

Auryn Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 14

thats genius matthew.
The muffin tins are like the cupcake pans right?? just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing
How do you get the cheesecake out of the muffin tin after its baked without messing it up??
I thought that was the idea of the springform pan- no popping the cake out, you just take the sides off.

please let me know because that would make my life so much easier.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 14

I use a graham crust with butter and when I make mini cheesecakes they just slide right out of the tins. I have a few people that ask for cheesecake every year for their birthday.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 14

Run a knife around them just out of the oven. Chill or freeze. they pop out easily. Can make ahead and freeze. I think it makes cheesecake better. Bake low at 275 for about 20 minutes, centers will not be set, but sides will. However, they look wonderful in cupcake liners...

At the very least, if you don't freeze, make them one or two days ahead and refrigerate. No muss. No fuss. Good cheesecake w/out the cheesecake cutting hassle. No one gets too much or too little. If you make too much, in the freezer they go!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 14

Not everyone likes cheesecake. Do you hapen to know if all of the party guests like it or not? Insted of trying to make cheesecake for 30, maybe you can make another dessert, such as pie or brownies. That may save you time and money, as well as offering a choice to the guests.

Auryn Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 14

I have no idea who likes cheesecake and who doesnt.
I know for a fact one person who is coming said cheesecake is "ok" (with a disappointed tone) but she was really looking forward to my chocolate cake.

Maybe I should make one 9" cheesecake for cutting and candles for him, like 15 mini muffin cheesecakes and then a 10 or 12" round.

I have until monday to figure it out, so complicated.
sheesh.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 14

I would do one 9 or 10" cheesecake for the birthday cake and do another regular cake for guests who might not like/want cheesecake. I don't think you would need the mini cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%