What's The Best Way To Apply Fondant To A Purse Cake?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:04am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 6

I'll be decorating my first purse cake in a couple of days & I'm wondering what is the best way to do that?

Should I cut out pieces using a template & then apply them?

Should I go front, back then sides & lastly top?

If I apply it in pieces how do I keep it from falling off? Will just wetting keep it on?

It's going to be aprx. 10 x 5" for the base & 9 x 3" for the top. It will be a tapered triangle (with a flat top of course)

Any other tips would be appreciated

5 replies
yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #2 of 6

I do not use a template because fondant will stretch when you pick it up and move it onto your cake. Instead I eye it and use rough measurements and piece it together. Seams that you would usually find on a purse are where I make the seams on my cake. Use a pair of scissors and cut the fondant and it will make a perfect seam. I have tried making perfect measurements before but it was a a waste of time because I still had to trim with my scissors. The fondant will stick on its own to the buttercream, unless it has crusted, and in that case you could use a paintbrush and brush a small amount of water on it to make the fondant stick. For pockets and other flaps on the purse measuring before and cutting to size works better before placing it on the purse. Use a small amount of water and brush it over the fondant to attach these extra details. Have some small balled up pieces of paper towels handy and stick these in pockets and under flaps to give the "fabric" dimension. (remove when dry) When you roll your fondant press something with texture over the rolled piece to make it look more like the fabric or leather on a purse. (You can used a piece of ribbed fabric, or some crinkled up saran wrap)

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 6

Jeez girl! You don't need my help.......I just checked out your pic's and it looks like you can definitely handle a purse cake! You've got some great cakes!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 6

yeastconfection -- good detailed information.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 6

yeastconfection -- good detailed information.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your compliment. And I definitely appreciate your help. Never thought about using scissors to cut the fondant. That's a big duh!. But I'm sure I'm not the first nor the last person to freak out when it's a first time process. I'm not being paid for the cake. I decide to make it a) to get the practice & have a pic for my portfolio b) found out the lady never gets much of a bday since it's around the 4th of July c) there will be potential customers at the party! So, it can be a good impression or one that flops & I eat on for days (just what I need after surgery to be inactive & have an 11x15" cake to eat icon_smile.gif ). But I know that none of them have seen a carved cake & would be blown away even if I messed up.

Thanks again for your tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%