A Fn Style Cake For How Much? You're Kidding~

Business By kellertur Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm by jlynnw

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

That should be the new secret challenge. Have the person getting the cake give the decorators a budget for the cake. We would either see cupcakes stacked 3 foot tall or the reality of a budget.

I LUV THIS IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #32 of 34

In addition to the cakes being pre-made, the internal structures are already built as well. As aligotmatt illustrated, those structure pieces alone can take days to plan and execute.

I also recall them mentioning several times throughout the series that the rules allow 30% of the decorations to be made ahead. If you watch the episodes with James, particularly, he always brings tons of elaborate pre-made gum paste flowers with him.

Also, all the molds are pre-made. The silicone mirror mask for the Shrek challenge, pre-made. And imagine how long it took to plan, design and make that.

Plus they always mention having done two or three practice runs on these cakes. I don't really blame the FN because they do include all these hints that tell you how much time these things take. And they certainly don't shy away from showing how difficult it is and all the problems you can have. I'd think if people listened to all these things, they'd have a clue. But I guess they're too busy waiting to see what will spin and sparkle, and what will fall over. Or who will get sassed by Miss Kerry this week.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #33 of 34

I just had a person call me yesterday wanting a Crown Royal cake for 2 (her and her hubby); I explained to her that for a STANDING UP, FULLY CARVED bottle, it can not be done for 2 people only, it would have to feed 20 people at least.

So, I quoted her a price of (wait for it) 100.00 for a cake that would serve 15-20people (yes, wayyyyy undercharged, because she wanted it for 2) and she said, oh, I can't afford to pay for that.

I politely told her okay, have a nice weekend!! Buh-bye!!

I mean really, what was she expecting to pay for a cake like this?? And that was undercharging her!!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

That should be the new secret challenge. Have the person getting the cake give the decorators a budget for the cake. We would either see cupcakes stacked 3 foot tall or the reality of a budget.

I LUV THIS IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG You made my day! icon_lol.gif It is always the otherway around. I love your ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%