How Do You Know?

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:40am by __Jamie__

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 9

i am having the hardest time figuring out what size cakes to make for a wedding of 188 people (the bride would like at least 5 tiers). but...what i am wondering is how do you know how they're going to cut up your cake? do catering halls go by their own guide or do i need to tell them how many pieces to cut in each layer? do i give a diagram? (i can see their eyes rolling now..lol). which brings up the fact that the number of servings varies depending on where you look... i assume that everyone errs on the side of caution and gives extra servings but how many? 5 tiers starting with the smallest (round) cake gives me 208 - is that too much? but i have no choice! (do i?) sigh....help! (i obviously need a lot of it! lol) thank you thank you !!

8 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #2 of 9

I would imagine that most established banquet halls would be able to cut the cake and serve all the guests. I have never given anyone a cutting guide. If the bride has her heart SET on 5 tiers, go ahead and plan for that. Let her know that those 5 tiers will give 20 more servings than what she actually needs and that she will need to pay for 208 servings. If she does not want to do that, drop the cake to 4 tiers and get your 188 servings.

Gingoodies Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 9

I would imagine that most established banquet halls would be able to cut the cake and serve all the guests. I have never given anyone a cutting guide. If the bride has her heart SET on 5 tiers, go ahead and plan for that. Let her know that those 5 tiers will give 20 more servings than what she actually needs and that she will need to pay for 208 servings. If she does not want to do that, drop the cake to 4 tiers and get your 188 servings.

Gingoodies Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

cakelady11215 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 9

thanks gingoodies icon_smile.gif so, do you typically go by the wilton chart for number of servings?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #6 of 9

the wilton cutting method stinks! There are some good charts in the gallery, and Indydebi has great instructions on how to cut cake (I think there are diagrams maybe???)

cakelady11215 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #7 of 9

Renaejrk - why does it stink? because the slices are like one mouthful? icon_smile.gif so maybe if i use the configuration for 208 servings i will actually have just enough if they are cut a bit bigger. i'll look for indydebi's chart, thanks!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

Indy will tell you she uses the Wilton chart as her guide. It is how she cuts the cake that is different.

Make sure you charge for the 208 servings and not just for the 188 that she needs.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:40am
post #9 of 9

And good Lord, a mouthful? Those slices are plenty! If you go by any other chart, you are giiiiiving away freeeeee cake. Yikes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%