Questions About Using Rice Krispie Treats To Carve

Decorating By sherylshirley Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm by jocakes

sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 16

Do I use the recipe on the box or do I increase, substitute or change any of the ingredients? My recipe came out so hard and lumpy and I couldnt for the life of me smooth it out. When I tried to carve it, it broke off in chunks. There is definately an art to carving rkt.

15 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 16

Not sure about the recipe but I would crush them up in the blender or with a rolling pin before adding to the marshmellow mixture they aren't so lumpy.

farfalla6ella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farfalla6ella Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 16

I use the exact recipe that's in the box with butter. I also just shape it into what I need it for. Example, I made a baby shower cake with a baby bottle and shaped the bottle, covered it in BC, then fondant and it came out beautiful. NO CARVING. I think it gets too complicated and and its wasteful. Unless you need to get a really sharp edge, I would not recommend carving RKT. Another hint is to let the RKT set, ya know...leave them out for a few hours (after I mold them of course) and I haven't had a problem with them going stale, either.

farfalla6ella Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 16

I use the exact recipe that's in the box with butter. I also just shape it into what I need it for. Example, I made a baby shower cake with a baby bottle and shaped the bottle, covered it in BC, then fondant and it came out beautiful. NO CARVING. I think it gets too complicated and and its wasteful. Unless you need to get a really sharp edge, I would not recommend carving RKT. Another hint is to let the RKT set, ya know...leave them out for a few hours (after I mold them of course) and I haven't had a problem with them going stale, either.

farfalla6ella Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 16

farfalla6ella Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 16

farfalla6ella Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 16

farfalla6ella Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 16

sherylshirley Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you so much Tiggy and Farfalla. I will try your suggestions.

sherylshirley Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 16

sherylshirley Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 16

sherylshirley Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 16

sherylshirley Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 16

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 16

I use the ready made ones, soften slightly in the micro and mold rather than carve, the secret is to do it with damp hands, I find it easier that way.

jocakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #15 of 16

I use the ready made ones, soften slightly in the micro and mold rather than carve, the secret is to do it with damp hands, I find it easier that way.

jocakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 16

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%