Difference In Cake Layer Heights And Freezing Cake

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm by MerlotCook

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a double layer 12" birthday cake. I made 2 12" cakes which will be torted and filled with lemon filling. My question is: there is a difference of 1/2 inch between the heights of the two layers- is this a big deal? One is 1 1/4 the other 1 3/4; I guess I should have measured the batter!

Also, since I will be torting the cakes should I freeze them so they are easier to cut? They were baked Wednesday; I am planning on filling it Thursday, and then covering it with fondant on Friday and serving on Saturday, so the only reason i would freeze the cake is so it would cut better. My major downfall is torting evenly!

Thanks!

4 replies
idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 5

The heigth difference is no big deal, just tort each layer evenly (as you can lol) & nobody will be able to tell the difference, even if you point it out to them!

Freezing doesn't make it easier to tort; when I freeze untorted I always wait for them to completely defrost before I try torting, sawing through frozen cake isn't fun & takes forever! (Of course, I use the small Wilton leveler, if you have something better it may not make as much a difference.)

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 5

The heigth difference is no big deal, just tort each layer evenly (as you can lol) & nobody will be able to tell the difference, even if you point it out to them!

Freezing doesn't make it easier to tort; when I freeze untorted I always wait for them to completely defrost before I try torting, sawing through frozen cake isn't fun & takes forever! (Of course, I use the small Wilton leveler, if you have something better it may not make as much a difference.)

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 5

here's a tip for even torting that takes a little time. Use a ruler to measure and insert a toothpick at the desired hieight, at 2-4 inch spaces, all around the cake. Use the toothpicks as guides to make sure you are level as you are torting the cake. HTH. icon_smile.gif

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I got them pretty straight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%