Difference In Cake Layer Heights And Freezing Cake

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 2:21am by sugarspice

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a double layer 12" birthday cake. I made 2 12" cakes which will be torted and filled with lemon filling. My question is: there is a difference of 1/2 inch between the heights of the two layers- is this a big deal? One is 1 1/4 the other 1 3/4; I guess I should have measured the batter!

Also, since I will be torting the cakes should I freeze them so they are easier to cut? They were baked Wednesday; I am planning on filling it Thursday, and then covering it with fondant on Friday and serving on Saturday, so the only reason i would freeze the cake is so it would cut better. My major downfall is torting evenly!

Thanks!

7 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 8

the difference in the layers isn't really a big deal - I have done it before. I use dental floss to torte my cake - put toothpicks several spots around the cake at the same height so the floss lines up, wrap the floss around, criss cross and pull opposite directions and, voila! evenly torted cake!

Karencook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karencook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

I swear by the Wilton cake levelers. They are consistent and accurate. I use mine (both sizes) on all my cakes that need leveled and torted evenly.
Karen

Karencook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 8

I swear by the Wilton cake levelers. They are consistent and accurate. I use mine (both sizes) on all my cakes that need leveled and torted evenly.
Karen

Karencook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

Karen

Karencook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 8

Karen

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

You must have better luck with the large Wilton leveler then most people do. I've never gotten a perfectly level cake with that thing. I'm order an agbay this month.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 8

I am ordering an Agbay too! The last 2 cakes I have done have been visually uneven after using the large Wilton leveler. I put a small level on the blade & it is not level side to side OR front to back-JUNK!! I have used mine for about 7 years & I am done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%