Please Help Me!!!! Im Stuck Between A Rock And Hard Place!!

Decorating By krissycupcakes Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm by playingwithsugar

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 4

ok so i posted 2 days ago asking about how to work out working in a bakery possibly 2 afternoons a week and then doing cakes as there ordered. i kinda figured out that ill work hourly and then set a price with her depending on the cake orders. so i go in yestardayto "work" / get to know her and the place a lil better, she was amazed at my cake picture but then....... in the kitchen i see shes useing un doctored mixes and i had told her oh i have a way to make them a lil nicer i made a WASC cake and she was like you put salt in baked good i said yes you need salt to react with some of the other ingredents and she thought i was crazy ??? am I??? im pretty sure thats how it works!! ok so we go on and the cake is "salty" and tooooo sweet!!! to her i think it was fine but ok i could put less sugar if that was it. then i see her making iceing (please also keep in mind this is her first bakery she said she did it out of her home for 5 years but the bakery is 3 weeks old) sooo this iceing its the consistancy of pudding theres no thickness at all!!!! i was ok i watched her try to ice a cake with a mayo spoon you know the ones they sell to get the mayo at the bottom of the jar , lets just say it wasnt pretty!!! so i showed her to use the spatula it goes quicker and looks nicer and she was like oh ok and she kept with the spoon!! then she tried to tell me about indydebis buttercream is toooo sweet i dont know what she thought i could bring to the table if she only wants her crap!!! shes nice and the place is perfect for me as a bakery its funky and fun and i really need a place to do my cakes but im not sure what to do !!!!! help!!!!!!!!! im going in today to show her how i make my rose cake so we will see what happens!!![/b]

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 4

Why do you feel you need to bring anything to the table. You will be working for her, not becoming her partner.

If you really want to work there, then take the job and do things her way. It's her business, and her reputation at stake, not yours. Making WASC cakes for her is going to be like giving away a secret family recipe.

Get the experience, then get a loan to open your own place. It sounds like she's not going to be in business too long, anyway.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 4

Why do you feel you need to bring anything to the table. You will be working for her, not becoming her partner.

If you really want to work there, then take the job and do things her way. It's her business, and her reputation at stake, not yours. Making WASC cakes for her is going to be like giving away a secret family recipe.

Get the experience, then get a loan to open your own place. It sounds like she's not going to be in business too long, anyway.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 4

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%