What Do You Use To Decorate A Cake Dummy?

Decorating By maliss Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 8:28pm by maliss

maliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maliss Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make several cake dummies and I'm not sure what you use to decorate them with. I'm thinking royal icing instead of buttercream. I also want to cover some in fondant. Is this correct?

8 replies
Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 9

I use BC. A thin layer will help seal in the little nooks and crannies you find on dummy cakes. Then go back ice the whole thing. You can also ice with BC, then cover in fondant. I have never used RI.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

I just use my regular buttercream. When it comes in contact with styrofoam, it turns hard as concrete so I see no need for royal icing. Kids love it when they come into the shop and I tell them, "Sure! You can touch the cakes!"

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 9

I have iced dummy cakes with both royal icing and fondant and have interchanged both types of icing on each cake for decorations. Haven't had a problem using either one.

mandm78 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 9

I have iced dummy cakes with both royal icing and fondant and have interchanged both types of icing on each cake for decorations. Haven't had a problem using either one.

mandm78 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 9

I only make dummy cakes.

For fondant covered cakes:

Make sure you sand the upper edges (corners on square pieces as well). They may tear the fondant when you apply it so that is why you soften it by sanding.

Mist the fondant lightly with water. Apply and smooth the fondant.

If you are stacking the layers, let the fondant dry slightly before you layer them. I usually use a bit of piping gel to stick the layers together.

The fondant on the cake will last indefinately if you keep it covered lightly with a plastic bag.

To clean the fondant off when you want to change it, soak in hot soapy water and peel the fondant away. You can also place the dummy into the dishwasher and run it.

If the dummy is damaged after you take the fondant off, just repair with royal icing and apply new fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Mist the fondant lightly with water. Apply and smooth the fondant.

Listen, when these folks say "mist the fondant" they mean MIST the fondant.

I was making a Halloween dummy cake, using black fondant, and I thought it would work just fine if I used the sprayer from my sink to mist the dummy. Ok, sprayer-water is NOT the same as misting! OMG, it was like a scene with Lucy Ricardo at the chocolate factory! What a mess! Black gooey fondant running all over my counters, my hands .... hep me, rhonda!

MIST it ..... don't spray it ..... MIST it. Just like the pro's say to do it! icon_rolleyes.gif

maliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maliss Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 9

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions and so quickly. I'm happy to know you can use buttercream and not just royal icing. Didn't know that....now I do. Also, I didn't know you could wash the dummies in the dishwasher. Thanks so much for all your help. And now I'm off to decorate some cake dummies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%