Fondant Or Gumpaste Letters/names And Numbers

Decorating By kathrynscakesncookies Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm by kathrynscakesncookies

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 9

I need some help figuring icon_confused.gif out how to make a number 8 and a number 1 out of fondant or gumpaste for a cake this weekend. I also need some help with their names...Sloan and Emerson icon_confused.gif . I want to make the rounded, tubular shaped kind. Thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 9

For what I think you are wanting to do, you will need to get an extruder - I use a clay extruder by Makins. They are available at Hobby Lobby as Michael's has quit carrying them.

Extrude a circle (using the right die) and then manually shape it into any numbers or letters that you need. HTH!

tracycakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 9

For what I think you are wanting to do, you will need to get an extruder - I use a clay extruder by Makins. They are available at Hobby Lobby as Michael's has quit carrying them.

Extrude a circle (using the right die) and then manually shape it into any numbers or letters that you need. HTH!

tracycakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 9

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 9

If you don't want to spend the money on the extruder (which is really the best way to get a consistently-sized snake), just roll a snake as carefully as you can.

Definitely use gum paste rather than fondant because you want your letters/numbers to dry hard and strong.

mkm25 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 9

If you don't want to spend the money on the extruder (which is really the best way to get a consistently-sized snake), just roll a snake as carefully as you can.

Definitely use gum paste rather than fondant because you want your letters/numbers to dry hard and strong.

mkm25 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 9

mkm25 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 9

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the replys, I do have an extruder. The last time I tried to do this I used fondant and it broke, so thanks for letting me know I need to use gumpaste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%