Please Help, Having Problems For This Weekends Cake!

Decorating By racechick311x Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 5:26pm by racechick311x

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 15

For some reason my cakes are all of a sudden not rising and when I cut into them they are not fluffy and are dense! I use box mix and hand wisk and I have not changed anything in my process. Please any help is appreciate ASAP, this is for a 4 tier wedding cake and a 2 tier bday cake for this weekend and I am starting to freak out! It happended on 2 8inch and a 12 inch cake today!

14 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 15

I'm not sure why this is happening but could your oven temp be off and they are not cooking properly. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. Good luck, Jaime

bec714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec714 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 15

Murphy's Law is in full effect here! This wouldn't happen if you were just playing around!

You can try adding meringue powder to your mix. The recommendation was on the insert in the can (which I've tossed), but I've added 1 tbsp/mix. It makes it fluffier/airier in my experience.

Have your ingredients changed at all? Different water, etc? Grasping at straws here.

I would try using a mixer this time. It might mix more air in.

My students always blame the weather when something goes wrong. Not sure how much stock I put in that, though.

Good luck!

Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 15

I'm not sure why this is happening but could your oven temp be off and they are not cooking properly. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. Good luck, Jaime

bec714 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 15

Murphy's Law is in full effect here! This wouldn't happen if you were just playing around!

You can try adding meringue powder to your mix. The recommendation was on the insert in the can (which I've tossed), but I've added 1 tbsp/mix. It makes it fluffier/airier in my experience.

Have your ingredients changed at all? Different water, etc? Grasping at straws here.

My students always blame the weather when something goes wrong. Not sure how much stock I put in that, though.

Good luck!

Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 15

bec714 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 15

Good luck!

bec714 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 15

Good luck!

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 15

It sounds odd but try using bottled water. When I first started making cakes I often made cakes at the homes of family members for specific events and often the water had an affect. They may be plumbing new lines somewhere in your neighborhood or doing local maintenance. But the meringue is also a good idea. Good luck I hope it works out or you.

warmshade Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 15

It sounds odd but try using bottled water. When I first started making cakes I often made cakes at the homes of family members for specific events and often the water had an affect. They may be plumbing new lines somewhere in your neighborhood or doing local maintenance. But the meringue is also a good idea. Good luck I hope it works out or you.

warmshade Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 15

warmshade Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 15

racechick311x Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 15

glad I am not the only one having problems with multiple post!
Thanks for everyones help, I called Duncan Hines and we think that I was maybe undermixing my batter, just had a successful cake so hopefully all is better

racechick311x Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for everyones help, I called Duncan Hines and we think that I was maybe undermixing my batter, just had a successful cake so hopefully all is beter

racechick311x Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for everyones help, I called Duncan Hines and we think that I was maybe undermixing my batter, just had a successful cake so hopefully all is beter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%